Storage for blades

Forester

I found a couple pictures of my old blade holders! 

Built out of 1/2 inch plywood and 1/2 & 1/4 inch dowels. The blade tubes are 3/4 inch PVC pipes. 
The larger holder has an diameter of 8 inches and the inner raised part is 4 inch diameter.
The smaller one has a diameter of 5 inches and was really a result of a miscalculation on my part (I cut the circle an inch too big, but didn’t notice until I had all of the holes drilled) But it turns out it works great for my sanding “bladesâ€, so if anyone asks “I planed it that wayâ€

post-1379-0-64560400-1464277508_thumb.jpg

post-1379-0-88691100-1464277526_thumb.jpg

Here's my expandable system.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

OK, I'm still somewhat new to scrolling, but this blade thing is frustrating at times, and I think I have come up with an idea that will make life easier. I am going to go to the dollar store, or K-Mart and get a large variety of colors of cheap nail polish. Then I will put a dab on each storage tube, and mark the top of the blades as I put them in the tubes with the corresponding color. This way, I can easily file them in the proper spot and easily see which end is the top of the blade.

I have a set of the "Baby Soda Bottles" like DW has.   This is really what they are.   They are soda bottles that haven't been expanded.   They work great for blade storage.   They have a lip that lends itself to mounting in a rack nicely.   They also have a screw on top that is easily labeled.   For those interested just do a google search as they are available online.

Edited by stoney

I use 3/4" PVC pipe & two end caps, & glue one cap on one end. I take the sticky label off the bags the blades come in, & put it on the PVC tube. Sometimes, if I've been doing lathe work, to save the end caps, I'll make plugs on the lathe to fit the inside of the PVC & glue it in with a hot glue gun, or super glue. I've made a rack that sits on the bench to hold all my blade tubes. I keep about 15 - 20 different types & sizes of blades in stock.

Here's how I store mine. The first pic is the rack that hangs behind and above my saw within arms reach. just pvc pipe with the one end plugged. The next one is a box with trays that I usually keep a couple dozen (still wrapped in the wire) of each size in the trays. The last picture is the tubes in the bottom of the box that holds the rest of the blades. Each labeled with sizes. Don't mind the dust on the box. The box was made from a pattern by DW, I just enlarged it a little.

post-1275-0-16195400-1465256478_thumb.jpg

post-1275-0-94696100-1465256486_thumb.jpg

post-1275-0-28543400-1465256495_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Because of Religious reason (I'm a devout cheapskate), I just use empty drinking water bottles with labels I print with MS Word.  Put a rubber band around the top and bottom, to store "a slightly used" blade on the outside of the bottle.  Made a "spice rack" to store them in, with the labels showing.  When I take out a new blade, I return that bottle up-side-down, to remind me what blade is in the saw.

jerry

I really like your rack, very good looking and practical.  May have to borrow your design.  When I can get back in the shop.  I use the storage tubes & metal rack from Seyco when I got my EX 21, but it does not hold enough tubes so I made a temp holder from a scrap of 2 x 4 to hold the remaining tubes but really like your version a lot better.

Here's mine. 3 layers of 3/4" thick Mahogany glued together with a little decoration on the back.

Tubes from http://www.sloanswoodshop.com.

Edited by tvman44

• 3 months later...