Abstract

125 CSL

First item I have cut that I like how it looks. Made a few mistakes. Have to find a way to sand in very tight spaces. 2 small over cuts on the other side. The stand did not take well to the dye.

Cedar main part, stand is pine and 3 layer hard wood plywood. Watco clear lacquer. Minwax ebony dye. Medea comart white paint. Gorilla wood glue. FD NS5 blade. Porter Cable scroll saw. Ryobi sander. 40 and 120 sanding belts. 150 sand paper.

The first 5 coats of lacquer looks down right ugly. Was starting to think I had totally messed up. Took out some 150 sand paper and worked it over. Then added 3 more coats. Now it looks good, well to me that is.

All opinions welcome.

post-29473-0-19761300-1464551756_thumb.jpg

post-29473-0-69018000-1464551789_thumb.jpg

Edited by 125 CSL

Took me a little to see what you wanted to achieve. I am a bit slow. If there were eyes I think I seen it sooner.

Over the years I have moved away from glossary finishes. I now use semi gloss or satin. Also the lower gloss finishes hide the defects (sanding marks, dents and dings) better.

Craig those look great.  Thanks for sharing this with us.  

As for staining both pine and cedar they are notoriously difficult to get a good even stain coat.  One of the things I have found over the years that works pretty consistently is that water based stains can be mixed with denatured alcohol and those do a pretty decent job of evening out the coverage of the stain.  Both Cedar and Pine are resinous woods and have resin and oils those need to be taken into account when staining.

DW

First item I have cut that I like how it looks. Made a few mistakes. Have to find a way to sand in very tight spaces. 2 small over cuts on the other side. The stand did not take well to the dye.

Cedar main part, stand is pine and 3 layer hard wood plywood. Watco clear lacquer. Minwax ebony dye. Medea comart white paint. Gorilla wood glue. FD NS5 blade. Porter Cable scroll saw. Ryobi sander. 40 and 120 sanding belts. 150 sand paper.

The first 5 coats of lacquer looks down right ugly. Was starting to think I had totally messed up. Took out some 150 sand paper and worked it over. Then added 3 more coats. Now it looks good, well to me that is.

All opinions welcome.

I couldn't see the forest thru the trees,And then it popped out.Wish i could have done as nice a job!Very well done