It's Summer, Options For Cooling The Workshop

Iguanadon

Good day Scrollers,

My workshop is a shed in the backyard and a fan has been fine... until now.  Living in the humid south, at the coast, you can imagine it gets a bit toasty.  The shed doesn't have any windows and I thought about cutting one in so that I could install a window AC unit, but I have shelving all around the interior and it wouldn't be easy, so I started looking around and found this little portable AC unit that only requires a rather small round hole to exhaust the unit.  Before I run out and make the purchase I thought I'd check to see if others have experience with this unit or have other suggestions.

Thanks as always.

Iggy

http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-8-000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner-and-Dehumidifier-Function-with-Remote-Control-48-Pints-Day-LP0814WNR/204684040

P.S. the running joke at my house is that if I need to get the mower or weedeater, it's "the shed", but when I go out there to do some scrolling, I refer to it as "the studio".  ;-)

Edited by Iguanadon

I've used something similar at the office and it seems to work OK.  It didn't crank out the AC as much as I thought it would, but maybe that was the unit I had.  But I think it would work well for a small shop.  I'm not sure if I'd want to be tripping over it, though.  I'd sacrifice a little shelf area and put a window unit in instead.  You don't even have to put in a window, just poke a hole and size it to fit and keep it in all year round.  They even have AC/Heater units, which would be nice during the colder months.  But for a simple turnkey system, this looks like a good option.

Good day Scrollers,

My workshop is a shed in the backyard and a fan has been fine... until now.  Living in the humid south, at the coast, you can imagine it gets a bit toasty.  The shed doesn't have any windows and I thought about cutting one in so that I could install a window AC unit, but I have shelving all around the interior and it wouldn't be easy, so I started looking around and found this little portable AC unit that only requires a rather small round hole to exhaust the unit.  Before I run out and make the purchase I thought I'd check to see if others have experience with this unit or have other suggestions.

Thanks as always.

Iggy

http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-8-000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner-and-Dehumidifier-Function-with-Remote-Control-48-Pints-Day-LP0814WNR/204684040

P.S. the running joke at my house is that if I need to get the mower or weedeater, it's "the shed", but when I go out there to do some scrolling, I refer to it as "the studio".  ;-)

I use one when the Power goes out. I do not have a whole house generator to power the Central air unit I use a Portable generator.So I drag this little unit around the house in the dead of summer if I need a little cooling off.One thing that you have to do or you will defeat the purpose of this unit.You must insulate the discharge hose.It is only flexible dryer hose. That hose gets so hot and it draws  the heat back into the unit It works twice as hard and only half of the cooling capicity.I happen to run into an HVAC contractor and got about 6' of duct wrap and it worked perfect But if you plan on puttig it up against a wall you may only need a couple of feet

Edited by tonylumps

Scott I used something similar in my garage shop for several years. It won't keep you at 70 but it will make it bearable to work. Now I have a window unit which really does a better job. Spend the $40 and get the bigger unit.

BTW check Craigslist as these pop up from time to time. Also the other week I saw a used Hegner on Craigslist out your way.

Good day Scrollers,

Thanks as always.

Iggy

I know these type ac units cool but how much of the cold air is being sent out of the duct at the same time ?

None It is just like a normal AC .Just a fan blowing across the coil thru the hose.Once I insulated the hose It worked better than a similar size BTU window unit. also it has a pan at the bottom of the unit to catch the water and it gets evaporated.Once the room cools down the water is no longer an issue

Edited by tonylumps

Iggy, I had one of those floor model ac units, I didn't keep it very long. I didn't care for the way it worked, and in my small shop it was always in the road. When I returned the floor model, I exchanged it for a window model and it works so much better. Plus, the water drains itself by just dripping on the ground. I never have to move it, and it takes up no space as it's hanging out the window. Personally, I think you would be better satisfied, if you were to purchase a window unit.

Len

Since you are also in NC, why not get yourself a heat pump style window air conditioner. Then it will both heat and cool your shop year round. I'm just North of Charlotte, my shop is an insulated 14 X 26 building, and my 22,000 btu window style heat pump mounted high and through the North wall of my shop keeps it warm in Winter and cool in Summer. Since it's mounted high it doesn't significantly affect anything I put on that wall. I leave it running, set on low heat when temperatures will be below freezing, and sometimes leave it running set on 75 deg during the Summer when temps will be 95+, if I'm going to be working out there every day, because it has trouble recovering if I turn it off and night, then back on in the morning. Good insulation is important which ever unit you pick. You will not get much benefit in an un-insulated shop. My shop has 6" fiberglass in the ceiling and 3" in the walls. 

Charley

Edited by CharleyL

Iggy Update - Just got back from Home Depot with the 10,000 BTU unit, it's going to work very well I think.  I cut a hole to vent it, I wrapped the exhaust hose with insulation (which made a HUGE difference and I'll likely buy more insulation next time I'm out to double wrap it).  I have it set up in a spot so it's blowing directly on my back and neck... very cold air, it felt wonderful.  Have to see how it does at lowering the overall temperature in the entire shed when it reaches 90 in there, but having it blow directly on me will be good enough as it slowly cools the entire space.

Full test tomorrow.  Gonna be hot and humid and we'll see how it goes.

P.S. since it doesn't get too cold here during the winter, I use a small space heater and the work light I use when doing finish work puts out a lot of heat so I just turn both of them on while I'm in there and I'm comfortable.

Iggy Update - Just got back from Home Depot with the 10,000 BTU unit, it's going to work very well I think.  I cut a hole to vent it, I wrapped the exhaust hose with insulation (which made a HUGE difference and I'll likely buy more insulation next time I'm out to double wrap it).  I have it set up in a spot so it's blowing directly on my back and neck... very cold air, it felt wonderful.  Have to see how it does at lowering the overall temperature in the entire shed when it reaches 90 in there, but having it blow directly on me will be good enough as it slowly cools the entire space.

Full test tomorrow.  Gonna be hot and humid and we'll see how it goes.

P.S. since it doesn't get too cold here during the winter, I use a small space heater and the work light I use when doing finish work puts out a lot of heat so I just turn both of them on while I'm in there and I'm comfortable.

Iggy that hose gets hot doesn't it.Insulation makes the hose a little stiff But it turns it into a window unit .Why wouldn't they use  insulated flex hose instead of dryer hose