Please help !

dkaiser14

I'm new to scroll sawing but have had a little success doing some inlays. I'm making magnetic bottle openers with 3/4 wood with 3/4 inlay. I recently have tried some exotic wood and im having trouble with yellowheart with a wenge inlay. Im having a terrible time cutting it. Can anyone recommend the blades I should or need to be using. Also any other tips. The blades seems to burn and dull very fast. Thanks a lot for the help. Also the inlay aren't matching up at all. THANKS AGAIN.

As Dan said. Both are very hard woods and very dense. Covering with packing tape will help lubricate the blade some. As for the size of the blade. I can't really help there, but doing 3/4" inlay will be a difficult task. One I have never tried. Blade and feed speed are key things when cutting dense hard wood. Hopefully someone can help you more.

I'm new to scroll sawing but have had a little success doing some inlays. I'm making magnetic bottle openers with 3/4 wood with 3/4 inlay. I recently have tried some exotic wood and im having trouble with yellowheart with a wenge inlay. Im having a terrible time cutting it. Can anyone recommend the blades I should or need to be using. Also any other tips. The blades seems to burn and dull very fast. Thanks a lot for the help. Also the inlay aren't matching up at all. THANKS AGAIN.

We'd love to see what your doing in wood .Good or bad ! thanks friend!.

The buck inlay turned out pretty good bc it was a little softer wood. The M inlay was a little iffy but decent. I tried another recently with wenge and purple heart and had a heck of a time. Blades dulled quickly and left gaps bigger then I want once done. Looking for the right blades to use with this thick and hard woods. Thanks for your replies and anymore info. On techniques and blades would help me out lots. Thanks for your time.

Ps there is a strong rare earth magnet embedded in the back to catch bottle caps.

post-29692-0-01699600-1466108871_thumb.jpg

post-29692-0-56777500-1466108904_thumb.jpg

post-29692-0-85237700-1466109308_thumb.jpg

post-29692-0-86068200-1466109408_thumb.jpg

If the wood is burning, you are cutting too fast for that blade. Overheating the blade will remove the temper and it will dull very fast.

Consider using a different blade or slowing the saw.  

Use an ultra reverse tooth or Polar blade to remove the sawdust more efficiently. Sawdust not removed from the cut will build up and can overheat the blade and also slow the cutting process..

Frequent application of blade lubricant, either a wax stick or by covering the work with packing tape, can reduce burning.

Any one or all of the above may be required to solve your problem.

Charley