blade wobble? How to fix?

Alex, I don't understand what you mean, how does the blade wobble? Most times if the blade wobbles it's a tension thing, but, seeing as how you already have the tension under control, it can't be that. It could be the blade clamps causing the problems, how much play is in them? Good luck finding a solution.

Len

Edited by Lucky2

First we need to know which model of Delta scroll saw that your saw is. From that we may be able to tell you what needs to be done. Delta changed the design of their blade grips several times over the last thirty years and they didn't even use the same grip for their different models that were made at the same time. The model number on your saw will help us provide a better answer. 

Charley 

Edited by CharleyL

My model number is 40-540C

Here are some pictures.

I tried to see if there was any play in the two arms, nothing there. 

Would the clamp at the bottom be off or may be wrong way? Not sure really.

Im going to check the clamps tonight, like someone said, they may not be exactly aligned, 

post-29314-0-09417200-1466427155_thumb.jpg

post-29314-0-82362200-1466427155_thumb.jpg

post-29314-0-31317500-1466427156_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlexH

Picture #2 seems to show the blade way off to the right of the lower clamp slot. Is it caught on something, or is this just a photography illusion? It looks to be wrapped around the bolt head. Please take more pictures of this or clarify what I'm looking at. The blade needs to be straight with the ends held straight in the pinching type clamps. That saw doesn't have much adjustment capability, so fine tuning to remove the wobble may be impossible. I'm thinking that what I see in picture #2 is the source of your "Wobble" problem.

That's a nasty bunch of rust on that table top too. It should be rust free and waxed to get good scrolling results. If you can get the table off, some navel jelly should help remove the rust (follow the directions on the bottle), followed by a good wash and dry. Sanding it off with fine sandpaper (200 grit) on a random orbit sander might get the bulk of it off, but be careful to only use the sander flat on the table surface or you might sand divots in the surface. If there's any evidence of rust after the sanding, the Navel Jelly should remove it. Then apply some WD40. Let the WD40 soak into the cast iron for at least 1/2 hour and then wipe it off well. Follow that with several coats of Johnsons Paste Wax or Butchers Wax, letting the wax form a dry haze and then wipe off the excess with a clean dry rag. Repeat this at least one more time, then repeat again whenever it doesn't feel slippery while you are using it. When I'm scroll sawing all day I apply another coat of wax before starting work every day. (Yes, it's that important). Keeping a coat of wax on the table will prevent it from rusting, but it also helps to keep the saw inside an environmentally controlled area with less than 45% RH.  

Charley

Edited by CharleyL

Picture #2 seems to show the blade way off to the right of the lower clamp slot. Is it caught on something, or is this just a photography illusion? It looks to be wrapped around the bolt head. Please take more pictures of this or clarify what I'm looking at. The blade needs to be straight with the ends held straight in the pinching type clamps. That saw doesn't have much adjustment capability, so fine tuning to remove the wobble may be impossible. I'm thinking that what I see in picture #2 is the source of your "Wobble" problem.

That's a nasty bunch of rust on that table top too. It should be rust free and waxed to get good scrolling results. If you can get the table off, some navel jelly should help remove the rust (follow the directions on the bottle), followed by a good wash and dry. Sanding it off with fine sandpaper (200 grit) on a random orbit sander might get the bulk of it off, but be careful to only use the sander flat on the table surface or you might sand divots in the surface. If there's any evidence of rust after the sanding, the Navel Jelly should remove it. Then apply some WD40. Let the WD40 soak into the cast iron for at least 1/2 hour and then wipe it off well. Follow that with several coats of Johnsons Paste Wax or Butchers Wax, letting the wax form a dry haze and then wipe off the excess with a clean dry rag. Repeat this at least one more time, then repeat again whenever it doesn't feel slippery while you are using it. When I'm scroll sawing all day I apply another coat of wax before starting work every day. (Yes, it's that important). Keeping a coat of wax on the table will prevent it from rusting, but it also helps to keep the saw inside an environmentally controlled area with less than 45% RH.  

Charley

Yeah, I picked up this saw off a site like Craigslist, but for Canada. It came this rusted, and was thinking I should really fix it before doing anything extreme or must more.

PIcture #2 shows the blade. Its not even clamped in the bottom clamps.

I just wanted to show where the clamps were.

The Wobble is side to side. Its easy to see when the blade is in motion.

If this helps anything, When I clamp the blade to the lower clamp, Its in front of the setscrew that you "screw" to tighten up the clamp. I'm not sure if this clamp is in the proper place, or I can unscrew it a bit, and more the clamp peice inwards more.

I will look at it soon, and let you all know.

Alex, it's quite possible that the blade wobble, isn't a problem with the blade holder. These saws have special bolts that they pivot on, plus a flat connector rod at the rear of the saw. These parts are all on the interior of the saw, and they all wear out with normal use. I think that if you check the pivot points out, you'll find that that is where the wobbles come from. I've owned two of these saws over the years, they worked great. But, after so much use, these pivot point bushings and bolts needed to be changed. If you try using a heavy grease on these points, it should help solve some of the wobble problems, The only thing though, is that doing this is just a quick short lasting fix. The only thing that will give you satisfaction, is to install all new bolts and bushings. I'm not to sure if the parts needed to solve these issues, are still available. The last time I ordered them, I couldn't get all that I wanted. I'm sorry to say, but,I think you were sold a boat anchor.

Len

Edited by Lucky2

I have the same saw. There is not a lot of adjustment on them but that looks like there is a lot of wear on the roll pin that attaches the blade clamp to the arms. Check or replace those pins top and bottom. Check the bushings that the arms operate on. Make sure that the bottom clamp is flat where the blade clamps in. Make sure that the blade is tight tight tight.

Yeah, I don't have the correct allen key that comes with the machine.
Its hard to make it TIGHT TIGHT but It takes me a few minutes to get it to the right tightness, but it works.

Yeah. I thought so. It works for what I want it to do at the moment right? Still starting off, first year at it, so might as well try and work my way up and use what I have correct?

Ill look into it and see if they make new parts for them and see if I can get them cheap.

Thanks guys!

Alex, sometimes on E-bay there's people selling used parts for these saws, you might want to check there. Do you know what part you need, or are you just guessing? I have a few new parts here, and I'm not all that crazy about selling them. But, if I have the exact part you need, I suppose I could part with it if it would get you up and running. Let me know what part it is, and I'll let you know if I have one to spare.

Len

I'm pretty much guessing when it comes to it.

I still have to get my Father in law to look at it and confirm that its what I really need.

Im assuming its a bushing/washer down inside the bottom clamp area. 

its moving left and right way to much, and as seen in the video posted and the response that to, its my assumption.

No need to sell off your parts :) Im only still a newbie at this all and starting off. Saw was only 70$ from online used, so worse comes to worse, I won't let my wife go shopping for those shoes she always wanted....wait...Cant do that.. haha