Excalibur on ebay

tonylumps

Is this the one you are looking at? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXCALIBUR-SCROLL-SAW-/172246467020?hash=item281ab081cc:g:DbUAAOSwNuxXZcis

Looks like an old model to me.  For that price I'd be tempted to buy a new 16" one.  Or give this one some serious thought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excalibur-EX-21-Table-Top-Scroll-Saw-/112009750489?hash=item1a144d27d9:g:1JwAAOSwn8FXSO8A

Is this the one you are looking at? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXCALIBUR-SCROLL-SAW-/172246467020?hash=item281ab081cc:g:DbUAAOSwNuxXZcis

Looks like an old model to me.  For that price I'd be tempted to buy a new 16" one.  Or give this one some serious thought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excalibur-EX-21-Table-Top-Scroll-Saw-/112009750489?hash=item1a144d27d9:g:1JwAAOSwn8FXSO8A

yep that is the one

The EX-21 in that second link is definitely supportable and is a lot closer to being in the proper price range.  If you can get the seller down a bit, that might be a good buy.

When looking at Excaliburs, you can tell how much they have been used by the discoloration around the blade hole.  This one is in pretty good shape, but definitely has been used more than a few times.  Click on the attached picture to see in full size where you can see the tell tell signs of use.

The question you have to ask is, how much is the warranty worth to you?  It is not uncommon for folks to try to dump lemons on ebay.  There is always a risk to doing business on ebay, so to counter that risk, I would really have to get a good deal.  If you are close enough to drive up and observe it running under load, that would mitigate much of that risk.

-------Randy

post-1770-0-31527400-1466369313_thumb.jpg

Edited by hotshot

The EX-21 in that second link is definitely supportable and is a lot closer to being in the proper price range.  If you can get the seller down a bit, that might be a good buy.

When looking at Excaliburs, you can tell how much they have been used by the discoloration around the blade hole.  This one is in pretty good shape, but definitely has been used more than a few times.  Click on the attached picture to see in full size where you can see the tell tell signs of use.

The question you have to ask is, how much is the warranty worth to you?  It is not uncommon for folks to try to dump lemons on ebay.  There is always a risk to doing business on ebay, so to counter that risk, I would really have to get a good deal.  If you are close enough to drive up and observe it running under load, that would mitigate much of that risk.

-------Randy

i would not spend that kind of money on a used excalibur. I would buy new first.

I have my Hegner set up the way I wanted it as far as upper blade clamp. I drilled out a 5MM socket head screw to except the Excalibur blade repair pins so i could use a different wing knob To me the Hegner is bullet proof.No moving parts except for 2 brass bushings.Grant you if the motor goes I could buy a new Excalibur for the price of the Hegner motor I just wanted to find a second saw so I could try out top feed.That is why I was looking used.Either Dewalt or Excalibur.But for the price they are asking used I could buy new

post-29130-0-02177900-1466418131_thumb.jpg

If it happens to be the Ex30 model it's a fabulous saw. I purchased mine new in 2000 and it's still running and looking like new today. Unfortunate Seyco no longer stock parts for this model but then I have extra parts on hand and expect this saw will last me a long time before it gives up the goast. It's okay to purchase used providing your able to check out the saw to your satisfaction or better, purchase new. I would forget about eBay.

If it happens to be the Ex30 model it's a fabulous saw. I purchased mine new in 2000 and it's still running and looking like new today. Unfortunate Seyco no longer stock parts for this model but then I have extra parts on hand and expect this saw will last me a long time before it gives up the goast. It's okay to purchase used providing your able to check out the saw to your satisfaction or better, purchase new. I would forget about eBay.

i very seldom had a problem on EBAY buying or selling As long as you do your homework before and not after the transaction.If I am going to buy used on Ebay I first check to see if it is within reasonable driving and and if it is a tool Are parts.If it is used i will offer 1/2 the price of new.to pay for repair.I sell a lot on eBay .and what i have learned is eBay favors the buyer When I sell it is mostly local pick up only.I live in a pretty populated area so i don't have a problem with selling.Come look at it.IF YOU LIKE YOU BUY