my first turning

Clayton717

Here is my first turning on the new lathe. It is a pill "box" keychain for my Dad and father in law. They both carry nitro pills with them, so I thought this would be something different. it gave me some practice on the lathe before trying the pens, and I need some other grits of sandpaper before doing a pen. The one pictured is turned from Orange agate. The picture is a little blurry.

It looks great for a first turning,afterall you can't expect to be a super turner instantly. I think that you are taking the proper approach to learning to turn all of the little ins and outs before proceeding with larger objects,especially the pens because if you make one little mistake the pen cylinder is ruined and you have to purchase another to try again, which can lead to a greater expense. so practice lots and you will be amazed at how fast you will pick it up. You should also be cautioned though because woodturning is about as addictive scrollsawing is. So have fun and keep your edges sharp and thanks for showing this small pill box to us.

Len :thumbs::thumbs:

Nice job on that Clayton. Looks great for a first project.

You do have the right idea, like Len said. Start with simple things before working up to the pens, although a slimline pen is nothing more than a straight cut. One thing I did, and still do a bit is to grab a chunk of wood, throw it on the lathe and start turning. Not aiming for anything in particular, it's just to practice certain cuts. I still have a heck of a time with skew chisels so usually that's what I'm practicing with.

Barry

Way to go Clayton! As Barry said, grab a chunk of wood and practice. I watched a lady make a bunch of small candle holders. She said she was warming up for the bigger projects. Be sure to pick up a pack of micro-mesh. That stuff will do wonders for the finish.

Dan