FYI - Ordering saw repair parts

jerry1939

About a year ago, I bought a new Delta. Before mounting it on the stand, I disassembled the brand new saw and greased it. Wasn't sure if one sleeve (the small "tube/pipe" inside the roller bearing) had a line across it. (Hairline crack????) May 9th I decided to order a new sleeve, plus an "extra", thinking the freight would be about the same.

Ordered from "eReplacementParts.com". Received e-mails June 9th & 22nd stating, basically, that "We don't have a date when our supplier will ship to us, etc. etc".

Thankfully the saw has always run fine and I am not in a panic mode.

jerry

About a year ago, I bought a new Delta. Before mounting it on the stand, I disassembled the brand new saw and greased it. Wasn't sure if one sleeve (the small "tube/pipe" inside the roller bearing) had a line across it. (Hairline crack????) May 9th I decided to order a new sleeve, plus an "extra", thinking the freight would be about the same.

Ordered from "eReplacementParts.com". Received e-mails June 9th & 22nd stating, basically, that "We don't have a date when our supplier will ship to us, etc. etc".

Thankfully the saw has always run fine and I am not in a panic mode.

jerry

Grrr.i'm still having blade slippage .i got my allen wrench set out took out the the other side of the thumb screw and low and behold it was shiny as a baby's butt and only on half of it. I dremiled it rough and am back in business!Good luck on your findings .keep us posted

I was lucky to find the spare I needed for my Delta Q3 on eReplacementparts.com but the $8 part cost $25 to ship.  With hindsight, I should have bought two of them (which was their total stock) since shipping would have been the same.

Rob

Len,

If it is true that Delta parts are hard to get, I wouldn't bet the rent that the dewalt 788 isn't an identical saw, except for some exterior differences. Perhaps Delta owners would be better off ordering from the 788 schematic.

My first saw was a Menards Performax (no longer made.) At the time, our Lowes had an identical saw for $120, but my shriveled brain doesn't remember the brand. I just check their site and they don't stock it anymore.

jerry

I have manly had good luck ordering parts from ereplacement parts for my P-20 Delta saw but the parts are slowly becoming obsolete, no longer manufactured. I did run into a problem with the site when I was looking for a replacement motor unit for a Shop Vac and I put in the model number and it came back no longer manufactured, obsolete. I thought, that didn't sound right as the vac was not that old. So I went to Shop Vac"s  site and to the replacement parts, put in model # and there was the item in stock ready to ship. So it might be wise to first go to the manufactures site first and see if the part is available and most likely will be at a lower price and shipping. Just my 2 cents worth.

Erv

Saw manufacturers don't make bearings. They buy them. On the side of each bearing is a manufacturer's part number and usually a code that indicates the bearing quality and the manufacturer of the bearing. There are distributors that specialize in bearing and power transmission supplies, and just like industrial distributors (like Grainger, for instance), there is a bearing store in most major cities. In my case, the one closest to me is Dixie Bearing in Charlotte, NC. Find the store (whatever the name) in the Yellow Pages under bearings that's closest to you. Take your old bearings or list of needed bearing part numbers and go shopping. 

Many other parts of saws and tools are also purchased by the manufacturers of the tools. Don't depend on the saw manufacturers for these replacement parts. Buy them from the source or one of their distributors, knowing that at least these parts will never be discontinued, like the other special saw parts. You will likely also save considerable money in the process.

Charley