interesting concept

orangeman

I recently received a gift from some friends in the UK which was purchased at a woodcraft store in Burford UK.
The website for the store is http://www.burford-woodcraft.co.uk/home.html
Looks like many woodworkers have their products on consignment at the store.
I believe the business concept would work in an artsy/craftsy location in the USA.

Yup, I have some pieces on display at the Woodcraft store in Ventura, Ca where I am the scroll saw instructor. The problem is woodworkers don't want to buy other woodworkers projects. I have sold a few things, but mostly they are on display for encouragement.

I have several of our valued members work "CLAYTON" Had i done the same project in no way would it even come close to the sturdiness,high quality finish,exactness,Hardwoods used,Color combinations.Words cannot describe how impressive his work is.His work is made to last too !These will be treasured till i meet my maker,In fact I'd like to show him so Clayton could get extra brownie points and maybe a front row seat there.

I recently received a gift from some friends in the UK which was purchased at a woodcraft store in Burford UK.

The website for the store is http://www.burford-woodcraft.co.uk/home.html

Looks like many woodworkers have their products on consignment at the store.

I believe the business concept would work in an artsy/craftsy location in the USA.

I love to buy others work to inspire me to do better

Denny,

How does that consignment work re terms in your store?

I had my puzzles in a local consignment store and they charged me $25/mo for renting 15 sq ft. plus 10% of sales for commission. There was an additional 3% charge if customers used a credit card.

I was there for 3 years until they folded; lost their lease.

There is a local hardware store that wanted to carry my puzzles but I thought it wasn't a good venue.

bb

Denny,

How does that consignment work re terms in your store?

I had my puzzles in a local consignment store and they charged me $25/mo for renting 15 sq ft. plus 10% of sales for commission. There was an additional 3% charge if customers used a credit card.

I was there for 3 years until they folded; lost their lease.

There is a local hardware store that wanted to carry my puzzles but I thought it wasn't a good venue.

bb

Brian, any venue is a good venue, they all get your work out there for others to see. Sure you might not sell as much at one as you do at another, but, you still have people viewing your work. When they see what you have on display, they may get in touch with you to see if you could do a special cut for you. To me, word of mouth is one of my best sellers, and most of those words are generated from work I had on display. The price you've been quoted for display space and commission, seem to be a fair deal as long as you make enough money to cover your cost. I used to pay $20.00 per month to display my work, the space I got for that money was a 5'x8' wall display unit that had sliding glass doors. I displayed a fair amount of things there, and I sold a good amount based on that display unit. There was no one to look after it, that's why I didn't pay any commission. I had done up a nicely scrolled sign with my contact info on it, and a short message about what I would cut. So, if I were you, I'd display my work to see what happens. It'll only cost you a few bucks, and you probably could withdraw your work at any time if things don't pay off.

Len