Scroll Saw Blades

Sycamore67

Recently Kevin posted about his having problems with the FD Polar blades and they had such fine teeth like a hacksaw. I was interested so took a look at my FD blades including the Polar, the Scroll Reverse and Ultra Reverse.

Here is a picture of the FD Polar Blades #5, #7 and #9., The #7 and #9 are both 14 tpi and the #5 is 16.5 tpi

post-27214-0-27870000-1466967257_thumb.jpg

Next is the Scroll Revers blades #5 and #7 which are 13 and 10 tpi.

post-27214-0-61410800-1466967328_thumb.jpg

And Finally the Ultra Reverse #5, #7 and #9 which are 15, 12 and 12 tpi.

post-27214-0-77399400-1466967398_thumb.jpg

The Polar blades have the largest and most aggressive teeth and it is surprising that they are not cutting well. It is what I use for compound cuts. Perhaps, if Kevin is having problems and the teeth are like hacksaw blades, he got the wrong blades?

Edited by Sycamore67

It's funny how one blade works for some and not others. For me, FD UR blades just don't work for compound cutting, but Polar blades do. Regardless of blade type, it is still slow going cutting thick wood. You cant force the cut, you have to let the blade do the cutting. Blades don't last very long either. Depending on hardness of the wood being cut, I can get three to five bird houses per blade

Kevin, I think that your "so slow" may still not be slow enough. It's like been stated, you have to let the blade do the cutting without forcing it. Where did you buy your blades from, is there any chance of returning them for a refund or exchange for the UR type blades?

Len