Dw 788 Parts

Fish

As I was scrolling today I heard a funny noise and everything stopped. I have never seen a bearing like this just break like this did. Anyone know what I have to replace, where to get, it how much does it cost and is it hard?  Do I replace the bearing only or the whole part?  Help is appreciated.

post-7955-0-22530100-1467239382_thumb.jpg

post-7955-0-70362700-1467239413_thumb.jpg

post-7955-0-67587600-1467239435_thumb.jpg

I have a Delta and I think that it is the same as a DW788.

BE AWARE THAT THE MOTOR SHAFT IS A LEFT HAND THREAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a counterweight behind the bearing. Put a vise grip on it. On my Delta, the nut was REALLY, REALLY tight. I took mine apart when it was brand new & greased all the bearings.

Re: Ordering parts. Some people on this site use http://www.ereplacementparts.com/

I ordered a non-essential part for my Delta 5/17/17. 6/9 I got an e-mail stating, "We don't know when our supplier will ship to us." Same e-mail 6/21, & 6/28. The part still isn't here, but the saw runs fine as is.

I would "guess" that you only need the bearing, however, when you press the bearing out you should be able to see if there is damage outside. Also, take a magnifying glass and see if you can read a number on the side of the bearing. If so, try a Google search of "buy bearings."

jerry

Edited by jerry1939

DeWalt has a repair policy in that they will replace any parts needed to get your saw running with a $250 max repair charge.

I have done that on a couple saws. usually get another year out of it before something else goes haywire. I'll only do the $250 job once. After that it goes to the parts graveyard.

As I was scrolling today I heard a funny noise and everything stopped. I have never seen a bearing like this just break like this did. Anyone know what I have to replace, where to get, it how much does it cost and is it hard?  Do I replace the bearing only or the whole part?  Help is appreciated.

I'd be interested in what kind of use the saw had ,just for my own record.Like only run wide open and cutting hard woods only.?

If it's just the bearing that is bad, which is all I see bad in the pictures, just replace the bearing, and don't buy it from DeWalt or ereplacements.com. Take the number off the side of the bearing race, go to a bearing store (at least one in every major city), or buy one online. Press out the old bearing with the new one, and put your saw back together. You will save 3/4 of what that connecting rod assembly is selling for. Most bearings are also available in several grades, both with and without side covers, and with several different sealed in lubricants, and from several different manufacturers. For about 20% more you can buy a much higher quality bearing than the original, if you ask the counter person for the better one. It will last longer and run smoother than the original.

Since that bearing is bad, you are likely past due for replacing all of the bearings in your saw. Do the same to acquire replacements for them and rebuild your saw completely while you have it apart. You will be amazed at the improvement. There are Youtube videos for instructions on doing this. It's time consuming, but not very hard to do. There is another recent post here at  http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/19921-bearings-for-788-dewalt-saw/ that lists the bearing numbers, for replacing all with the original quality. Buy from a bearing store or internet and you will save a lot of money. Buy from the bearing store and you can get the counter person to provide the higher quality bearings at about 20% more cost. 

Charley

Edited by CharleyL

The part I have found is on toolpartspro.com. It's the con rod assembly for $26.  Does Dewalt have a time limit on the $250 repair charge?  My saw is pretty old it's a type 1.  And thank you  for your help

There Guaranteed Repair Price program is good for all the saws... be aware that since a type 1 is no longer made they will substitute type 2 parts.

DW

I know that the 250 deal has been on for 2 years. I have a type 1 that was taken( not by me and when it was returned the lable that tells you the details of the saw was removed was removed. I use this saw for my back up I bought it at a garage sale for $150 . I knew the owner so I had a knowledge of the saw, 

ike

To replace one bearing is going to cost you less than $10 and a little labor. I would certainly not want to take my type 1 saw into DeWalt and pay them $250 to take the label off my saw and glue it onto a new type 2 saw when only one bearing is bad that can be replaced easily. I know of several who have gone the $250 route and none were pleased with their new/old saw after the exchange.

If you don't want to fix it yourself, see if they will just replace the one bearing for you. The charge should be much less than $250 for this too. 

Charley

If you look on youtube the gwinnett woodworkers has about a 5 parts series on tearing down the whole saw and checking the bearings and repacking and replacing them as needed. it is really a good video but i have to warn you each one is about an hour long or so some less. mainly you just have to change some bushings and repack with a good grade of grease. the only special tool needed is a set of torx drive bits also known as star drive bits and a few basic tools like wrenches and stuff. this video is almost a total teardown and reassembly of the saw. i was getting a vibration on my type 1 saw and changed the bushings and repacked everything and was good to go. the type 1 saws were made by excalibur sommerville design in canada,the type 2 saws are made in china. from what i have read it was about mid 2003 when they stopped making them in canada. i did not take any pictures of mine but the video shows alot of close up pictures. if you have any questions just ask.

doug

The part I have found is on toolpartspro.com. It's the con rod assembly for $26.  Does Dewalt have a time limit on the $250 repair charge?  My saw is pretty old it's a type 1.  And thank you  for your help

I had a friend do this once with his Type 1. They took his table off his machine and the sticker off his motor and stuck it on a Type 2. Worthless piece of junk Type 2.

This link to a July 2014 SSV post gives the video and also the ID numbers for the 788 bearings.  I do not know which one fits where but I would think the larger of the group that shows 2 each will be the one you need. 

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/10407-dw-788-bearings/

Larry

These are the numbers I have written down:

Kit8616 (HK0609 Needle Bearing 6x10x9) 12
Kit7492 (HK0810 Needle Bearing 8x12x10) 2
Kit7189 (HK1412 Needle Bearing 14x20x12) 2

Edited by JustLarry