What size baltic birch plywood if framing.

bronx

As most know i'm new to the scroll saw world and I received a boat load of baltic birch with my saw. I have two 1/4 inch 5x5 sheets, one 1/2 inch and one 3/4 inch 5x5 sheets of BB.

What I have been doing is gluing two 8x11 inches together both 1/4 inch BB. One is of the scroll saw piece and the other a backing with a router edge taking the place of a fame. To me it looks like fido's butt compared to pieces I have seen on here with frames. 

Besides looking like fido's butt I spray the backer board flat back, glue them together, route the edge then put the finish on, but the finish always seems to run into the flat black on the backer board. Now everything is shinny...lol. So I lose the contrast; therefore, I want to go to framing.

My question is, is 1/4 inch BB thin enough for framing or do I need to go smaller like an 1/8 inch...?

Being in the Atlanta area I have access to all the BB I want with great pricing. A 5x5 sheet of 1/8 inch will run me about 15 bucks but I have all this 1/4 inch that I got for free or better yet came with the saw.

An 1/8 inch is about the smallest size that comes in a 5x5 sheet if I have to go smaller then it's of a hobby store.

LOL...basically I said all that to say this. What is the ideal size of BB to frame.

....I spray the backer board flat back, glue them together, route the edge then put the finish on, but the finish always seems to run into the flat black on the backer board. Now everything is shinny...lol. So I lose the contrast; therefore, I want to go to framing.

Can't you spray your finish on the cutting and then glue on the backer?

I have framed 1/4" and 1/8" all with backer boards. Just measure the depth of "all" piece and make you dado's to fit. As for gluing the project together on a flat black backer then finishing. I finish the the cut project before I glue everything up. Be care with the backside, you don't want finish on it giving the glue a better surface to adhere to.

Cliff, I prefer to use 1/8" BB, but, a lot of other scrollers use 1/4" and have no issues. It's mostly a matter of preference, seeing as how both thicknesses will work. Some people like to use the 1/4" thick stock, because it adds more depth to their cuttings. The shadows are deeper, and they look a lot different then the 1/8" stock does. There are many reasons to use either one, I use both but prefer the 1/8" stock for the cutting and for the backer also. Because, by using the 1/8" stock for the cutting and for the backer, you'll find it much easier to fit everything into a typical frame.

Len

Oh yes Cliff, I forgot to mention. Another reason that I like using the 1/8" stock over the 1/4" stock, is that I like to stack cut whenever possible. And when I stack cut, I like to be as proficient as possible. Which simply means, that I like to cut as many copies of one item as possible at one time. When stack cutting 1/8" stock, I usually will stack up to four copies at a time. If stack cutting 1/4" stock, I usually only get two copies of the same pattern. I could cut thicker stacks, but, seeing as how it's BB, the blades dull a lot quicker. Not only do they dull quicker if cutting a thicker stack, they will sometimes cause enough heat to scorch the wood. 

Len

Lots of good tips and triks here to remember!

I have framed 1/4" and 1/8" all with backer boards. Just measure the depth of "all" piece and make you dado's to fit. As for gluing the project together on a flat black backer then finishing. I finish the the cut project before I glue everything up. Be care with the backside, you don't want finish on it giving the glue a better surface to adhere to.

Cliff, I prefer to use 1/8" BB, but, a lot of other scrollers use 1/4" and have no issues. It's mostly a matter of preference, seeing as how both thicknesses will work. Some people like to use the 1/4" thick stock, because it adds more depth to their cuttings. The shadows are deeper, and they look a lot different then the 1/8" stock does. There are many reasons to use either one, I use both but prefer the 1/8" stock for the cutting and for the backer also. Because, by using the 1/8" stock for the cutting and for the backer, you'll find it much easier to fit everything into a typical frame.

Len

Oh yes Cliff, I forgot to mention. Another reason that I like using the 1/8" stock over the 1/4" stock, is that I like to stack cut whenever possible. And when I stack cut, I like to be as proficient as possible. Which simply means, that I like to cut as many copies of one item as possible at one time. When stack cutting 1/8" stock, I usually will stack up to four copies at a time. If stack cutting 1/4" stock, I usually only get two copies of the same pattern. I could cut thicker stacks, but, seeing as how it's BB, the blades dull a lot quicker. Not only do they dull quicker if cutting a thicker stack, they will sometimes cause enough heat to scorch the wood. 

Len

Instead of a wood backer, I use colored felt which doesn't increase the thickness and just a little glue will hold it in place.  Of course, you want to finish before applying the felt.