Taking the scroll saw on the road with you?

jbrowning

So it looks like I might be arriving a day early for a couple of the races this summer. I won't be able to take photos, so I was thinking about taking the scroll saw with me. Now I will be plugged into electric so that isn't a problem. My question is do I try to man handle the heavy (you know what) DeWalt 788 or do I take the little Harbor Freight that is much easier to move around and then attach it to my mobile work station that I will be taking with me?

I would be mainly cutting out Christmas and Halloween decorations and maybe some jigsaw puzzles. No fret work yet for me.

I'm hoping someone has done this with going on extended camping trips or something and has some suggestions.

Thank you

Jim

Edited by jbrowning

Jim, it's kinda weird that you'd ask this question now, I was considering asking it myself. I'm thinking of buying a motorhome within the next couple of weeks, and I'm thinking of loading my spare scrollsaw and my midi lathe in it. I plan to take my wife to the places she wants to travel to, and I plan to scroll or turn pens in my spare time at the camp grounds. I'll be very interested in reading what others have to say on this matter.

Len

Randy, my spare saw is brand new, it's a small variable speed Delta type. I first learned to scroll on one just like it. The whole reason for buying the saw, was for something like this. I plan to have the prep work done before I leave home, that way it wouldn't take very long to get started at the camp grounds. I plan to have the pen blanks all predrilled and glued up also, so I can turn or scroll what and when I want.

Len

So it looks like I might be arriving a day early for a couple of the races this summer. I won't be able to take photos, so I was thinking about taking the scroll saw with me. Now I will be plugged into electric so that isn't a problem. My question is do I try to man handle the heavy (you know what) DeWalt 788 or do I take the little Harbor Freight that is much easier to move around and then attach it to my mobile work station that I will be taking with me?

I would be mainly cutting out Christmas and Halloween decorations and maybe some jigsaw puzzles. No fret work yet for me.

I'm hoping someone has done this with going on extended camping trips or something and has some suggestions.

Thank you

Jim

Please anything but a harbor freight or a sagura.

When we used to go to shows to attract new members to our club we used to take a DW788.  We have a stand with wheels and the machine just slides out to the back of an SUV and vice versa.

You just have to make sure of your heights of where you are going to store in in your RV so you don't have to lift.

My bet is that if you have some stuff to sell you will do okay in a camp ground as long as not too expensive.

Don

Some time back one on the scrollers (do not remember which site) talked of taking his 788 in his RV.  Carried it in side compartment and set it up on a milk crate.  The crate was the same height or very close to same height as the compartment bottom.  He just slid the 788 onto the crate.  He sat on another crate to do the cutting.  Seems he did real well by doing this.  Believe he did a lot of travel in his RV.

I do take my 788 clone Delta out once in awhile for demos and such.  I would not want to be out in public sawing with a saw I did not have a lot of "practice" on.  I was asked recently if I was going to bring saw to one of our sale days cause that tended to draw more people in. . We have a sale day here every second Saturday of the month.  Answer was I would have to wait and see how much weight my saw gained between now and then because it was quickly getting to heavy to carry very far. 

Guess you will never know until you try it.

Larry

We have done a lot of camping - and I've thought of taking the scroll saw - but in the end I opted for other choices ..... taking already cut pieces that needed sanding with the mop (on a cordless drill) or dremel - carving (veins or relief) - and I have always taken the computer - meaning I got the chance to spend time playing with pattern making software - guess what I am saying is I never actually took a saw - but neither did I find any shortage of scrollsaw type activities as long as I planned for them ....

Enjoy your time away from the saw ......,

Jay

I have a 1988 Jet Scroll saw that is very light and small. It is a 15" saw.  I bought a battery and an inverter to run it, that I used at my street sales.  It worked well but I have found folks show little interest in watching me saw.  Also, I work these shows alone and If am sawing I  cannot sell well.  I no longer take it with me.  It did give me something to do while waiting for folks to come by my table.

I lived in my RV for several years and packed the DeWalt with me. But I did hesitate taking it out unless I was going to be stationary for a  couple weeks. It is heavy. And I always worried about getting it out of whack by carrying it the wrong way. If I were not doing anything really intricate I would sure take a lighter saw along and use it. If I were you, I'd go with the Harbor Freight.

I intend to eventually take a saw along too. However; it will be a lightweight one!

The RV seems to gain weight just sitting and I already pull enough extra pounds along.

AS I am not young anymore the easier to get in and out if the area it is stored in is also a priority!

Yes, I have adequate truck for the job; pull the mountain passes a few times, or take the wrong road, and end up on a very steep road with sharp turns and you will want as little extra weight as possible!

I will NOT be taking the #788 RV'N with me.

Edited by rjR

When I had my Dewalt, I hauled it a few times.  Not the easiest, but it wasn't a huge burden.  I'm probably going to want to take my EX-21 someplace, at some point.  I don't think the saw will be a problem, but the stand is bigger and more awkward to haul than the Dewalt's, so I'm not sure how I'll work around that.

Fella that got me interested in scrolling takes a Skil scroll saw with him.  He has a wooden box with handles that serves as a base when flipped over.  It will clamp to a picnic table and holds the saw about 8 inches higher than standard table height so it is the same approx height as when on the bench at home.   When not used as a base, it holds the saw and supplies in the RV storage area. 

How about a 16" Excalibur.  Maybe not quite as heavy as a Dewalt.  I have thought of taking a scroll saw because my wife sometimes takes her sewing machine.  But, our trailer is not big enough for both and besides, I don't like to spend time on a vacation doing what I do at home.  I spend most my time outside.  So I take something to whittle on and when sitting around the fire I play at whittling, even though I am horrible at it.  Lately I have been thinking about a wood burner.  I have seen some beautiful pictures done with wood burners and they are very light and portable.

Edited by Scrappile

I demonstrate at trade shows and teach scroll sawing and power carving. My DeWalt 788 goes on the road several times a year. I just remove it from the stand (changed bolts to studs in the stand and wing nuts) and place it on a moving pad/blanket in my SUV and wrap it up in the rest of the moving pad/blanket. The stand lays on it's side along side of the saw, also wrapped in a  a moving pad/blanket. Then all of the supplies, displays, Junn-Air silent pancake air compressor, three 4' tables and 2 folding chairs, extension cords and other tools are placed in small boxes around where they will fit. My laptop computer and laser printer go on the front right seat of the SUV and my small ice chest goes on the floor in front of the computer.  I have a folding luggage type hand truck that I take for moving everything in and out of the show, if I can't borrow a cart at the show. For outdoor shows, I also pack a 10 X 10 shelter with weights, tie downs, and side curtains to completely close it in, if bad weather hits, or for closing just one or two sides if the Sun is too bright or hot. The shelter and everything that goes with it, go in on top of everything else in the SUV. It is set up first and taken down last, so it works best for me to put it into the SUV on top of everything else.  

The 788 is quite heavy, but I haven't found any other saw that compares in quality of cut, that is also lighter than the 788. For now, my method of moving everything works well for me. Sure, a lighter saw would be great for this traveling. Maybe some day.

Charley