Another cross

Kevin Latimer

Pattern by donnie hollingsworth (foot of the cross scrollsaw ) donne in aromatic cedar.

First of all the aromatic cedar i've ever cut has been a nightmare,Very brittle wood and will break just looking at it.My friend picked up his and her name and forgot to take it off the spare tire cover .do you know that when he started driving ,The name fell off and disintegrated into corn sized pieces .I've cut lots of names lately all thick 1.5 " and letter after letter exploded .I spent the same amount of time repairing as cutting anew name.I still dearly love the cedar but come on.

First of all the aromatic cedar i've ever cut has been a nightmare,Very brittle wood and will break just looking at it.My friend picked up his and her name and forgot to take it off the spare tire cover .do you know that when he started driving ,The name fell off and disintegrated into corn sized pieces .I've cut lots of names lately all thick 1.5 " and letter after letter exploded .I spent the same amount of time repairing as cutting anew name.I still dearly love the cedar but come on.

oh this piece was a nightmare, you don't even want to know what i went through, lol. BUT ill tell you anyway. all i can find anymore is 4/4 cedar, rough cut, no one around me caries less thicknesses and they want to charge to much to surface it. so being that i love how cedar finishes i bot some anyway, i don't have a planer or jointer. I wanted 1/2" but no more than 3/4 in. when i went to sand (using a belt sander with 3 different grits mind you) the first side, i didn't notice that there was a bout a 1/4" of rot on the back side, with no planer or band saw what is a guy to do. OH I KNOW, take the table saw blade as high as it can go, and use it as a make shift band saw, well even after cutting through and flipping it, i still had about 2-3 inches that the blade didn't reach, so i broke off the rotted pieces, then using a chisel scraped down the middle that the table saw couldn't reach, then with a power hand planer i finished off the rest, yea this was a PITA to do. and i have a total of 6 more boards all 4/4 at 4 feet long to deal with, at least they don't have rot, only what remains of the first board.

Kevin that cross came out great.  Issues like you are talking about are quite common with Cedar as you probably know.  I just looked on Ebay and for around $86 you could get 36 square feet of 1/2 inch thick 4 foot tall tongue and groove paneling shipped directly to you at no extra cost.  Just a thought:)

Keep up the great work.

DW