Help...glue or not to glue that is the question...lol

bronx

Well my time is up from my recovery and back to my little workshop. I cut this piece but I had a piece fall off leaving a gap in the bushes. I have the piece that broke off. 

My question is should I try and glue it back on or do I leave it off. It's a big void. Also what kind of finish should I use. I'm so new that this woodworking stuff I don't even know what type of wood it is...lol

Anyway the mistake is left side of the buck in the bushes. See that big ole void...lol

post-29685-0-47242600-1468097932_thumb.jpg

Void?? - don't worry about it - you are the only one who knows now and will ever know - cutting looks great just as it is - and as for "new at this woodworking stuff" - also something anyone looking at this would never know - you have done an absolutely great job here - one that anyone would be proud of.

There will definitely be some discussion on finishing - everyone has their own preferences - my own would be semi-gloss polyurethane. If the piece was well sanded before cutting then that will minimize the finish being absorbed into the end grain - not sure of the number of coats - am thinking a minimum of 4 and perhaps a few more just because it is an end grain - the actual number of coats you will need will make itself apparent as you go along - but do a light, fine sanding between all coats - and think of using 0000 steel wool impregnated with wax - then - polishing as your last act. 

You've got a great looking piece.

Jay

I agree looks fine as is and know one else knows but us and I'm not going to tell. With this type of wood I presonally think either nothing or a non yellowing clear poly or something like that. I like to use the different size bark on  wood like that to do animal cuttings as you did I think it gives them a rustic look they need.

Well my time is up from my recovery and back to my little workshop. I cut this piece but I had a piece fall off leaving a gap in the bushes. I have the piece that broke off. 

My question is should I try and glue it back on or do I leave it off. It's a big void. Also what kind of finish should I use. I'm so new that this woodworking stuff I don't even know what type of wood it is...lol

Anyway the mistake is left side of the buck in the bushes. See that big ole void...lol

You are now an artist.you decide how things will look .I love the look,Don't be hard on yourself.I never would have expected something was wrong..Good Job. The more you do the ore you enhance it!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I see no void. If asked by the original designer I would say it was a "design change". Only you and the original designer know about the piece. I have attempted to fix things like that in the past and only made matters worse. Just leave it be.

As to a finish I would spray with a satin or semi gloss poly.

Thanks guys. You guys are the best and to kind. I will leave it alone but I will keep it instead of giving to the person it was intended for. I'll make another because I noticed I wandered into the buck's eye. That is very noticeable.

The problem is they gave me the wood and I don't know what type of wood it is nor does the person who gave it to me. He stated he found it somewhere. I beg to differ it looks store brought. Oh well i'm still learning and getting use to my new eye sight...lol

I pulled the pattern off of here and i'm most thankful for the person who took the time to create and post this pattern. Thanks a million.

i just cut a wildlife seen and one of the Bucks in it is now a Doe.You could try some CA glue .That works for me if I had to glue.I was a trim carpenter for years and I swear buy it.Read the label every brand has a different set up time.

LOL...now that is funny right there. 

Cliff, the wood looks like a "Bass Round". These are available at craft stores like Michaels and online catalogs like Scrolleronline.com.

I think you are correct. I'm headed to Michael's in the morning and and i'm bring the piece with me. thx my friend.

• 2 weeks later...