dying

ike

some time ago someone ask about dying wood. I used Rit clothing dye an 42  circle ornaments They were made from popular wood. it didn't take but a short time for the dye to sink in. I also tried it on pine , it took longer and the hard parts of the wood didn't do very good. but they were salable.

IKE

post-21020-0-41677800-1468250021_thumb.jpg

I've been toying with RIT clothing dye on a few projects now.  I like it.  It can be a little messy, but seems to clean up well.  I've been using the pre-mix.  I've gotten good color absorption with most things I've tried, some better than others, but that will hold true with stains as well.  I like having the variety of colors available, without having to resort to paint.  In most applications, I also like the grain showing through.  Good stuff, readily available and relatively cheap. 

It was I that asked about dying wood some time ago. I tried the whole food color thing and that didn't work as planned as i was not happy with the quality of the colors. Soooo, unfortunately i resorted to acrylic paint.... :oops: I do however like to color quality in you ornament Ike. I may have to do some experimenting with the RIT dyes for future projects. Thank You for posting this and remembering that someone asked about dying wood! Do all the colors come out that vibrant and true on the Poplar Wood? 

Thanks Chris

It was I that asked about dying wood some time ago. I tried the whole food color thing and that didn't work as planned as i was not happy with the quality of the colors. Soooo, unfortunately i resorted to acrylic paint.... :oops: I do however like to color quality in you ornament Ike. I may have to do some experimenting with the RIT dyes for future projects. Thank You for posting this and remembering that someone asked about dying wood! Do all the colors come out that vibrant and true on the Poplar Wood? 

Thanks Chris

Didn't get the answer you wanted post it again.Sometimes the week end everybodys busy with other things .But remember i've never seen a question not answered and in more ways than one.

some time ago someone ask about dying wood. I used Rit clothing dye an 42  circle ornaments They were made from popular wood. it didn't take but a short time for the dye to sink in. I also tried it on pine , it took longer and the hard parts of the wood didn't do very good. but they were salable.

IKE

Thanks Ike for the picture ,very vibrant!

Travis,

I buy concentrated food colors from Esco and LoRann Oils. Then I dilute with either water or alcohol.

Alcohol dries faster but it absorbed more and I get more bleed out on softer maple.

Diluting with water doesn't bleed out as much. The softer the wood, the more bleed out from the end grain.

Then I seal the pieces with Sherwin Williams Cab-acrylic lacquer (gloss).

I use a durometer to test the hardness of the soft maple before I buy. There are many varieties of maple  classified as soft maple. Some softer than others.

Also, diluting some colors with alcohol will affect the color. I have found NEVER to dilute purple with alcohol - you won't get purple. Same with black. As I said it has taken me several years to perfect the process.

Hope this helps.

Hi, Chris (cmarsch),

You can also dilute the acrylic paint so that the grain still shows through but,

in my opinion, the brilliance or luster of the diluted paint will mostly be brought

out by what-ever finish you use rather than the paint itself.

For that reason, I would recommend a high gloss finish.

God Bless! Spirithorse

Brian,

Those are some amazing colors! How long does the wood sit in the dye? I was using Pine and Poplar wood and couldnt get nearly those results, as a matter of fact you wouldn't event think I tried to dye them. Is the soft maple the only wood that you use?

Chris