I think I scored

It's not good to run any small variable speed motor as less than 20-30% of it's rated speed because the cooling fan in them is attached to the motor shaft and it also slows down. Very large industrial DC motors of 1 hp+ that need to run slow have a separately powered fan attached to them to cool them, so the cooling is the same for them at any speed. 

Charley

Picked up an RBI model 214 at a yard sale for under a hundred. Can it be converted to variable speed?

The motors used for fixed speed and variable speed applications are very different. To convert to variable speed you will need to replace the motor and switch. You will probably add $400 or more to the price of the saw.

I believe that the RBI has an AC motor. . I worked for a motor company for 27 years and if someone hooked up a restate to one of our motors  the warren was void. most machines with AC motors used a venerable spreed pulley. We did make venerable speed DC motors..
IKE