Group Effort - Help me come up with theme ideas

Iguanadon

To my fellow Villagers,

I have signed up for an event in October and looking for ideas.  It's a Seafood Jazz and Blues Festival.  It's a 2 day event and I'm looking for ideas of items I can make in addition to my usual batch of animal puzzles.

I'm thinking musical instruments, music symbols, etc... associated with Jazz and Blues.

I thought I'd toss it out here and see what you brilliant scrollers could come up with.  Any ideas should include patterns, or links to patterns I can purchase.

I look forward to your suggestions and ideas.

Thanks!

Iggy

To my fellow Villagers,

I have signed up for an event in October and looking for ideas.  It's a Seafood Jazz and Blues Festival.  It's a 2 day event and I'm looking for ideas of items I can make in addition to my usual batch of animal puzzles.

I'm thinking musical instruments, music symbols, etc... associated with Jazz and Blues.

I thought I'd toss it out here and see what you brilliant scrollers could come up with.  Any ideas should include patterns, or links to patterns I can purchase.

I look forward to your suggestions and ideas.

Thanks!

Iggy

plate fulls of scrolled seafood might go mover big to  hang on the walls in the kitchen or restaurants later?

Iggy, looks like a few folks have some good ideas for you !......The Village comes  through again ! 

As I knew they would.  Keep 'em coming!  I've been doing Google searches all morning looking for ideas as well and coming up with some good ones.  I'm purposely not sharing what I've found so far because I don't want to sway peoples minds so you'll all come up with your own unique ideas that I likely haven't thought of yet.

Right now what I plan on doing is finding 10-12 new/different items specifically for this event and make 1 of everything for display purposes only and take orders.  Since it's 2 days and is all day, into the night music event, people won't want to carry a piece of wood around with them for hours, not to mention the risk of losing or breaking it.  This way I don't have to try to guess what will be popular by making several and getting stuck holding a bunch of stuff that won't sell until the next music fest.

I have not had much success customizing my inventory to an event. The exception being Christmas items sell better at Christmas time than during spring and summer. I believe in stick with what works.

If you want to customize I would focus on nautical items like light houses and sail boat vs jazz items.

I wish you much luck.

Besides the jazz band one that bronx referenced above on Steve Good's blog, Steve has several with a "music" theme. You can enter "music" as search term and find many of them. While not jazz specific, several could be used or modified for use.

Here are links to a couple I like.

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2016/04/smart-phone-stand-scroll-saw-pattern.html

This one has a "blank" background to stand as well so you could add more specific designs related to theme. I was going to make one with just the music notes by eliminating the guitar "sides" on his design.

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2014/07/love-music-scroll-saw-pattern.html

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2016/05/music-is-my-happy-place-scroll-saw.html

I look forward to seeing what you decide on trying out.

If you utilize any background music in your booth or at your table - and can develop a bit of a seaside/ocean theme to the display of your work - then maybe think about iconic (but subtle) background sea sounds: waves breaking, seagulls, fog horns, whales, dolphins etc.

Or .....

I also like the idea of doing portraits of famous musicians - and if you take the thought of background music a little further then what about portraits of Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald together with their duet "Summertime" playing in that background?

Sounds like a great challenge you have in front of you - please let us know how you make out.

Good Luck,

Jay

I have not had much success customizing my inventory to an event. The exception being Christmas items sell better at Christmas time than during spring and summer. I believe in stick with what works.

If you want to customize I would focus on nautical items like light houses and sail boat vs jazz items.

I wish you much luck.

That's a good thought and thanks for sharing your experience with trying to adapt to the event.  I'll still have all of my usual items on display for sale but will add these new items in their own little designated area and worst case I'll have wasted a handful of hours making the display pieces.

Right now what I plan on doing is finding 10-12 new/different items specifically for this event and make 1 of everything for display purposes only and take orders.  Since it's 2 days and is all day, into the night music event, people won't want to carry a piece of wood around with them for hours, not to mention the risk of losing or breaking it.  This way I don't have to try to guess what will be popular by making several and getting stuck holding a bunch of stuff that won't sell until the next music fest.

Iggy, good luck with your plans, but, I've tried doing just that and I had little to no success with it. What I found, is that people want to get the item when they pay for it. 

Len

I agree with Zenscroller:  Pepole want an item only for a short while.  If given time to think about it they usually will decide against it.  I have people tell me at every show..."Hold this for me, I need to get some money, or find my husband or whatever"  and they never come back .  I have even had folks pay for an item that I make for them and even though I call them they never come to pick it up.  The sale needs to be on the spot and final.