Blue Pine

Be_O_Be

Ok, I've seen "Blue Pine" used on several projects and by different members with amazing results. I've learned about this wood on this site and not knowing about it I've never looked for it. So I have to ask, is this readily available or is this a regional wood?

I am not certain where you are. I am in the Midwest and have Menards stores which is a big box store. Whenever I am there, I look at the pine and usually can find some blue pine. I have found some really good pieces. Also, I monitor the poplar for green and strange colored pieces.

I have a nice stock of the blue pine and green poplar.

Wayne - i am adding in a link again to the Handsomewoodman site - not sure if it works any better then one Paul added. You might need to add in a www in front of it. http://thehandsomewoodman.com

Be_O_Be - I think it may be more of a "regional" wood - regional being the mid-west Pacific West Coast.  I have looked a little for it in my area (Eastern TN) and have not yet found it readily here. I will keep looking for it.  I have checked once or twice at Jefferies Fine lumber which is close to Judy Gale Roberts studio and where she gets some of her wood from but haven't found it there.  She had created a sample of her "trigger fish" for her beginner Intarsia class from some blue pine. She is using it in her Intermediate class in the Fall to make an elephant so I plan to ask her where she is sourcing it from. Would love to find somewhere a little closer to me. No Menards here but I have heard others say they found some there like Sycamore57 who is over in NW Indiana looks like.

In the interim, the only place I really found it was at the Handsomewoodman site which is not really convent to you in Ohio or me in East TN.  Which means shipping is close to the price of the wood.  I did order a couple of wider and longer pieces from them a couple of weeks ago.  They were received in excellent condition and look very nice.  I have not yet attempted to cut anything from them but look forward to using it.  I love the look of it. 

Blue Pine isn't a specific species of wood, it is actually considered a defect. It is a stain that comes from a beetle infestation that kills the tree.I have a few examples of the wood that I use when talking about "defects" with my students. We discuss how some defects are structural and always avoided for projects and how others are more a matter of preference. Knotty Cedar, and the various figured maple are other great examples

learning a lot in the forums these years .Soaking wood in solutions with metal does strange things,is one i remember off the top,of my head thatbwas talked about.

Thanks Kevin - I will have to see if I can find some old threads on that.

meflick

Thanks for the link. Interesting site.

You're welcome. Glad I could help. They were great to work with but wish I could find more local to get to save on shipping.

If anyone is close to a sawmill,l check with them for blue pine. In most places it is considered a defect to the general public and is put aside mostly for contractors that know the blue does not affect the strength or workability of the wood. It will be at a lower price and in some cases free for the taking. I would be worth the trip to investigate the cost and availability of the wood.  

Erv