Spray equiptment

Dave Monk

I have a spray set up .  Compressor, hose and gun but I no longer use them.  It is way too much hassle cleaning them after each use and adjusting them again before each use. 

I use a brush on sanding sealer, sand that smooth, then wipe on poly and finally spray on with a  rattle can of lacquer or poly.  Sanding sealer is necessary when using a lot of cedar like I do.

Yes, cleaning them after each use and adjusting them again before each use is a hassle.

But when you need to spray and want to cut cost....

• You need a compressor 2-3HP compressor 8.6 CFM @ 40PSI.
  • HVLP sprayer  ... Sears or Husky or Harbor Freight are about the cheapest
  • Lots of lacquer thinner... 

One other problem is ... it is a big hassle, irritation and nuisance to spray one small item,

ya know, one coat probably don't cover it so you gotta wait for it to dry. Meantime, your

spray nozzle is drying also.

You need more than one canister so you can switch from lacquer/BLO to your cleanup

(lacquer thinner) canister.

I spray a lot but find ever now and then, the rattle can is so much handier for a small, single 

project.

I am looking at options to spray paint and lacquer. I am spraying between 10 and 20 rattle cans a week and it is getting way too expensive. Any opinions on equipment would be appreciated. dave

That's a lot of cans I don't go thru that many in a year .I save all my rattle can tips and soak in acetone .What pray tell are you spraying with all those cans ,fences?

I collect the marbles out of the rattle cans.  You don't get marbles with with paint guns.  And I also get to take the rattle can out and shoot it with my pellet gun to get the what ever is in them released to I can cut the can to get the marble.  It is great fun to shoot those things and watch them fly!!

I have posted several projects that I am doing sports related. Attached a sample. I am doing about 20 of these a week. I spray the backer which is MD with paint. I spray about two coats on the back and about three coats on the front. After I put my 1/4" on I spray the whole thing with Lacquer. I give it three to four coats. I must admit I am very anal about the finish. I like it to feel and look as smooth as a baby's butt. I finished 25 pieces last week and sprayed four cans of lacquer not counting paint. dave

post-28878-0-36928000-1469466482_thumb.jpg

I have an air brush setup that I love.  What you are making is too big to use an air bush on though.  There are a lot of HVLP for paint and lacquer and I would research those.  The cleaning can be a little bit time consuming but really isn't that bad.  I finish large quantities at a time and between coats just run cleaner through it.  I would also buy a separate gun for paint and lacquer.  You really do not have to take the gun apart and clean every little thing.  I do a deep clean of my gun about once a year.

I have a Earlex HVLP sprayer that I use. I like it a lot but don't use it for craft work. Someone on this site, although I'm sure I couldn't find the thread, suggested using an air brush spray system for craft projects. Whomever posted it suggested HF's unit. I've had it on my shopping list for a few months but it never gets to the top of the pile.

Cleaning spray units can be a pain especially if you need a solvent. I spray shellac and have a gallon of alcohol that I pour into a bucket to clean the parts. When I'm done I pour it back into the original container. I'll use the same stuff several times before running it to my local hazardous waste center.

I still have my spray equipment for before. Mostly DeVilBiss guns ( expensive ) and my compressor. Larry about summed it up pretty good. It is a lot of work to use then clean. Depending on what your spraying you'll have to adjust the gun or even change some parts inside. An air brush would be a simpler answer but they have a learning curve too. I still use my finishing gun for furniture but that is about all. My days of shooting cars is over. 

Dave, unless you have a fair amount of spare time to put into cleaning the equipment, I don't think a spray system would work for you. Have you checked out different types of clear finish in spray bombs, there's more out there than just lacquer. 

Len

Dave I make similar items though only about 25-30 a year. Here is my process:

- For my backers I use latex or acrylic paint depending on the colors which I brush on with a foam brush. I use flat black 90% of the time. One coat is normally enough. If a second coat is needed wait about an hour. After the final coat I allow it to dry at least 24 hours before assembly.

- For my overlay piece I dip them in clear Danish Oil or clear Deftoil. They come in quart cans or larger. (Tung Oil or equal parts of Poly, BLO and mineral spirits also works.) I use an old roasting pan for dipping and reuse the oil many times by putting it back in the can immediately after using. After dipping I wipe off the excess with paper towels (warning handle properly as the towels can burn). Allow to dry 24 hours.

- After gluing the pieces together and allowing them to dry I then spray 1 or 2 very light coats of Poly or Lacquer.

Dave I use to use the spray cans and was going through a lot of them as you are. Very costly! 

I switch over to a gravity fed spray gun and have been using it for years. depending on what I'm working on I try and get several pieces ready to spray at one time before spraying. I use sand and sealer first then the laquer with as many cost as I like. Good luck!