signing your work

newfie

Yes Todd, I sign all of my work. I do it two different ways, one with a branding iron that has my name on it. The other way, is just with a permanent fine tipped marker. I always sign the back of my items others sign the front. It's just a matter of preference. But, you'd never use a branding iron on the front of anything. If your work isn't signed, it just gives others who are unscrupulous a chance to claim your work.

Len

I don't sell anything, but I initial my work and include the year it was made.  I generally use a sharpie and with a fine point marker, I can sign even very small pieces, like Christmas ornaments.  I don't recall when I started signing stuff, but people I give stuff to always seem to check that I did and if I happen to forget or if they don't find the signature right away, they always ask.

Since I give most of my stuff away, much of it to family, I think it's important to sign and date it.  I've made furniture for both of my daughters and all of my grandkids.  I hope that this furniture will long outlast me.  Years, maybe even generations from now, my family will be able to recall when something was made and who made it. 

I made extra college money by turning wooden bowls on dad's lathe, using exotic wood cut offs from a furniture factory my uncle worked at. I used an old bolt head and files and grinder to make a branding iron. I burned my mark into the bottom of each piece. Fast forward 40 years and my wife and I were antiquing in Columbia Pa. Two familiar looking teak bowls caught my eye. Shop owner told me the bowls were made in a small factory in town that closed in the 1950's. Very collectible and easy to tell because of the company mark. Flipped the bowls over and there was my mark. I showed my wife, (she has two I made and marked with the same brand) we both had a good chuckle.

I have address labels from Vista Print, that are basically small versions of my business cards. I always put one on the back and then sign and date. If the labels won't fit I always sign and date the project somewhere. I also have a stamp from Vista print but now that I got the labels that"s what I prefer.

I sign and date all of the larger items and use an address label with the name of the shop and phone #. 75% of my projects are crosses that have a lot of fret cuttings and no where to sign or place the label. Since I do not do any pattern designing, I also include the name of the designer so there will be no doubt about the origin of the pattern.

Erv

When we took Judy Gale Roberts class, she said she always signs on the front of every piece just as any other artist signs their work. She said just because you are using a scroll saw and sanders to create your project didn't mean you weren't creating "art".she also said people pay more for "art work" then for @crafts." Made sense to me so I have been signing all my pieces on the front like she does.

I have the worst hand writing in the world, so nothing gets my signature. I have a branding iron that says " Handcrafted by Dan Gallo".

If the project is to small for the brand, like ornaments and the mini birdhouses, they go out in the world naked.

My writing is also terrible so mostly I just put my initials.