signing your work

newfie

I sign and date everything. For the most part I use a ball tip on my wood burner.  I don't date my ornaments in case I don't sell all of this year. In my opinion signing and dating does two things, one if you keep it you can look at your early pieces and see that you (hopefully) have progressed and two it indicates to a customer that you are proud enough of your work to have your name on it.

I do have a burn stamp but I only use that on toys and stuff like that. All intarsia is a hand signature only my first name the last one is too long for small pieces.

I put my brand on the back all of my scroll saw pieces. Since I have a livestock brand registered here in Montana, that also allows me to use it as a registered decorative marker here in Montana. I've branded a few pieces on the front, but my irons are so big, it takes away from the look, so I do it on the back now. Haven't thought about signing them, but may have to try that out now. Haven't come up with a great solution for some of my turning pieces since they tend to be too small to brand.

I make some fretwork napkin holders mostly out of 3/4" red oak.   I wanted a branding iron that I could use on the bottom edge that would fit in a area of 5/8" X 2 1/2".   I had one made that has Made in USA on the first line and by My Name on the second line, it works great.   I have used it for other projects and it works well for them also.   So yes I sign my work.     

Edited by stoney

• 3 weeks later...

I used to sign and date all my intarsia pieces but I quit signing everything a few years ago. Every once in awhile I get asked why I do not do that any longer. I guess I feel people buy the things they like and they really are for their enjoyment and not about me. When I did sign things I used a wood burning iron with a pencil tip. I do sometimes put a label on the back that is printed on my printer and glued on. If I am making a really intriqet piece that I am particularly pleased with and it is for a family member I have some really nice metal labels that I bought on this site and I will use them very paringly.

Dick

heppnerguy

I brand the back of all my work when it is possible (not possible if the material is not wood).  That includes a lot more than scroll-saw work, for example stained glass, carving, furniture, and toys.

If I have made something that someone else has designed, I also burn in a tribute to them.

Also, if a piece is art that I have designed, I initial and date the front of the work.