Sanding mops

DAdams

I have not seen any in the stores, but have seen the flap sanders as Travis mentioned. I would like to know myself as I use my dremel with the drum sanders a lot in making intarsia. Of course I can't seem to find the 1/4" size drums anymore and I know that they make them, or they did.

Fran

Hi why not make a mop sander I have but noit for a dremmel I made one from a bench grinding machine and bought the clouth backed abrives of e bay save a fortune . It is in a photo of a stick in my Photobucket album .Mal

Come to think of it, the cutting/grinder wheel attatchment could easily be converted. The cutting wheel isn nothing more than an arbor that has a screw on top that sandwiches the cutting wheel between two rubber washers. I'm wondering if you can cut several pieces of sandpaper and put them on the arbor. Not sure if the sandpaper will be too small, though. Might not have enough teeth to do anything. Just a thought. Hrmmmm.... :?

Travis did you get the web site that has them for sale i sent to you on Sat. After looking at that site I'm thinking i could make one or more of these. My Question is do i have to put a cardboard type spacer in between the layers of sand paper. And i Shouldn't have to buy the special mandrel would I ? cause i have a few of the ones that have the small screw on the top that you unscrew to put something on the Mandrel. I'm just not sure what the sizes of them are. I want to go study the one that is on Steve Goods site and read up on how that one was made. That would Definitely be alot cheaper then buying on that fits my Dremel tool.

Sorry, Deb, I didn't see it right away. I wasn't able to get to my email this weekend. Thank you for the link. For those interested, Klingspor Woodwrking Shop has mini sanding mops for the dremel.

I'm not sure if you really need their special mandrel. The only thing I can think of is perhaps the screw that goes in the top is a little longer. That way you can fit more sandpaper in there. I'm guessing the mandrel you have is for the cutter/grinders. I think that would work just fine. I'd find some clothbacked sandpaper. The velcro backed sandpaper for a mouse sander is thin an would work great. Just trace a quarter or half dollar and cut it out with scissors. Then cut little slits along the edge similar to what they have in the picture. Stack several circles up and use a small finishing nail to poke a hole through the center of the whole stack. Then thread it onto the mandrel. I bet that's all it would take. I'm not sure if you'd need the spacers. I'd try it without. If it isn't working, maybe use a cereal box to create the spacers.

This is a cool project. I think I might try this out myself. I'll have to stop by the hardware store and pick up a mandrel, though. My other one is broken. :eye:

Hi i use a Dremel hard cut off disk to trace around for the size of the sanding discs i made for the sanding mop then i used a thumb tack to poke the center hole in the sand paper discs. I haven't got it all together yet But it does like it will work Ok.I use sand paper with cloth backing on it .

Ok members I got the sanding mop made and used it too it worked great But the only problom is it didn't last to long. it did a great job on the wooden spoon I used it on .Just make sure you wear eye protection cause the strand of the cloth backing come off and flys around and into your eyes like lint. And do not make them any bigger then a Quarter or a 5o cent piece cause I made another sanding mop bigger did like the one Steve Good made was alittle to big for the dremel and it made the dremel over heat and started to smoke I unplugged it fast and sit it out side my wood shop to cool down.Brought it in the house had My husband Rick help me and we checked the dremel out to see if the bushes were Ok in the tool, they were fine. it just got to hot for the size of the second sanding mop I made. it wasn't as big as the one steve Good has in his video.But i did the same design of the sand paper. iI cut pieces about 2in x 3in long and then folded them in half and poked a finishing nail through the sand paper to make a center hole then i took a pr of scissors to cut strips in the pieces of sand paper up to the middle about where i poked the hole in the center of it to mount them on a mandrel. it would probably work fine if the one i made wasn't to big. I was using it on a flex shaft unit also. So that probably didn't help it at all. To much pull on Dremel tool motor.We have plugged my Dremel tool in since i brought it into the house & the unit runs fine so far, the real test will be to try a carving burr in it to do some carving on a wooden spoon. to see if I did any major damage to the unit.

Thanks for the update! Yah, its best to stop when your tools start smoking. :razz: Safety glasses are a good point. I've had my cornea scratched once from a piece of sawdust. That was the most miserable week of my life. You couldn't close your eyes because it hurt, you couldn't look around because it hurt....Ugggg. :cry:

I'm wondering if those commercial sanding mops for the dremel have a short life too. Try cutting them in circles. I'm wondering if that will last longer since you don't have the strips slapping the workpiece and putting extra stress on the sandpaper. Did you use any spacers?

Very interesting. I'm really enjoying this thread. Keep it up, Deb!

Way cool update Deb.............this is turning out to be a really great thread. I'm wondering if you couldn't use something like fray stop (used in sewing to stop fabric from unraveling).......it's basically a thin glue that stops the fraying...........it soaks in. I'm thinking that might not interfere with the sandpaper itself since it's absorbed........and it might keep it from flying apart. Worth a try maybe.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Christina

...I'm wondering if you couldn't use something like fray stop (used in sewing to stop fabric from unraveling)...

If its the same stuff I've used, it does get a little hard. Certainly harder than the sandpaper. I think it would gouge the wood. Unless they've improved the formula in the last few years. (And no, I won't tell you why I know what fray stop is or why I have experience using it. :eye: )

No Travis I didn't use any spacers I'm not sure what to use for them or how to place them on the manrel But I have learned Valuable Lessons from making a sanding mop. one never make it bigger then 1 to 2 in.in diameter. cause it is to hard on your Dremel tool if that is what you use for sanding equiment.And 2nd make sure you wear safety glasses to protect eyes from flying debri.And 3rd wear a dust mask.I'm still not done messing with making one of these cause it does do a great job on sanding in weird areas like wooden spoon bowl areas.Plus it isn't as hard on you to use it as using sand paper by hand.

LOL Travis........I won't ask! I had the name wrong though..........It's Fray Chek. And if it's cloth backed sandpaper it might work. I agree that on sand PAPER it might harden too much. I'll have to get some and try it on scrap wood...........I have lots of that :razz::rofl:

Thanks Deb for sharing your experience with us. I just have to try this!!!

Christina