2nd piece

country girl

My first piece was a dauphin, only 6 pieces so not much of a challenge. This on took me a lot longer. But for a second piece I think it turned out ok. The best trick I learned was to color tha back board black so you can not notice the spaces. I am giving this to my daughter for her birthday - I might enter it in the fair too.

post-29875-0-64370500-1470508633_thumb.jpeg

Looks like you are well on your way to becoming a great Intarsia artist. Looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree. The horse looks really good and I am sure your daughter will love it. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Thanks for sharing your photo. I like seeing others intarsia work to see how they approach it. Everyone has different ideas which is great to see.

Theresa, welcome to the Village, It's great to have you join us. This is an amazing piece, you didn't have to paint the backer black, your joints are perfect and no one would ever see any of the backer. Thanks for sharing this one with us, I hope to see more of your work.

Len

Well that is a really nice compliment Len, thanks. I bet that will all the sanding it took to make those joints "perfect" that the piece is a good quarter inch smaller. Not to bad for a start. I should have my next piece done this weekend. Looking forward to having the time to check out what everyone else has done. I look forward to learning from everyone.

Looks like you are well on your way to becoming a great Intarsia artist. Looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree. The horse looks really good and I am sure your daughter will love it. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Thanks for sharing your photo. I like seeing others intarsia work to see how they approach it. Everyone has different ideas which is great to see.

Thanks for the compliment. I think that having different depths is a saver, I am in awe of those that can cut so good that they can have an even depth and no gaps. When i can do that, I will be very happy.

My first piece was a dauphin, only 6 pieces so not much of a challenge. This on took me a lot longer. But for a second piece I think it turned out ok. The best trick I learned was to color the back board black so you can not notice the spaces. I am giving this to my daughter for her birthday - I might enter it in the fair too.

Your on your way to fairground blue ribbons,Keep your work coming.I traded my first intarsia pieces for a dw788

What is a dw788?

Hey Theresa - a dw788 is a Dewalt 788 scroll saw. That is the saw that I presently have.  Have had it a number of years - got it when my kids were small - didn't have the time or patience back then.  Especially when I couldn't figure out WHY I couldn't seem to cut a straight line with it.  Grown kids, more patience, and learning why it didn't cut straight and how to cut straight - here I am now learning to use it.

Hey Theresa - a dw788 is a Dewalt 788 scroll saw. That is the saw that I presently have.  Have had it a number of years - got it when my kids were small - didn't have the time or patience back then.  Especially when I couldn't figure out WHY I couldn't seem to cut a straight line with it.  Grown kids, more patience, and learning why it didn't cut straight and how to cut straight - here I am now learning to use it.

Your first piece must have been pretty amazing if you were able to trade it for a saw you still use today. I need to figure out how to view some of the work you posted