Birdhouse stuff

Jim McDonald

Finally got enough bird houses cut to start thinking about finishing.  Decided on clear Danish oil.  Worried that I would have to "babysit" them and keep turning if I tried to soak them in a pan to keep all sides wet and submerged.

Instead, I packed them in a pint canning jar and poured it completely full and then screwed on the lid.

When soak time was done, I blew off the excess with the compressor and hung them to dry for a few hours.  Worked like a charm.  Good even finish and no drips or bubbles.

These are destined to be Christmas presents, so I am going a few extra steps with them like painting the birds.  Pictures when I get them done.  Have about ten more glued up to drill and cut.  (Work is much easier in poplar--started with maple and just about made firewood out of the whole lot.)

Edited by Jim McDonald

WELL I AM CERTAINLY HAPPY TO OF READ ALL THESE POSTS.  LEARNED A THING OR TWO.  

GREAT TIPS ON USING THE JAR AND ALSO THE ZIPLOC BAG.  JUST HAPPEN TO HAVE A DOZEN

BIRD HOUSES CUT AND READY FOR SOME FINISHING. 

JUST LOVE THIS FAMILY OF SCROLLERS.              Danny  :+}

I JUST LOVE THIS PLACE....  JIM THANKS....LOVE YOUR IDEA OF THE SOAKING IN A JAR.  HOW LONG DO YOU LEAVE THIS SOAKING?

AND....SCOTT....GREAT IDEA OF USING THE GALLON ZIPLOC BAG FOR THE ....SHINE PART....  AND HOW LONG DO YOU KEEP YOURS

IN THE BAG? 

BOTH IDEAS REALLY, REALLY SOUND LIKE THE WILL WORK.              Thanks....  Danny  :+}

I JUST LOVE THIS PLACE....  JIM THANKS....LOVE YOUR IDEA OF THE SOAKING IN A JAR.  HOW LONG DO YOU LEAVE THIS SOAKING?

AND....SCOTT....GREAT IDEA OF USING THE GALLON ZIPLOC BAG FOR THE ....SHINE PART....  AND HOW LONG DO YOU KEEP YOURS

IN THE BAG? 

BOTH IDEAS REALLY, REALLY SOUND LIKE THE WILL WORK.              Thanks....  Danny  :+}

Depends on the wood. For harder woods like walnut and maple 5 - 10 minutes seems long enough as they really do not soak in a lot even if left for hours. For softer woods like pine and poplar I do about 30 - 45 minutes.

Make sure you do not store the oil / poly in those bags long term. Left long enough, the finish tends to break down the bags. Also I only use a bag one day. It will handle multiple batches done in a day but not multiple days.