PS Woods scroll saw

Rockytime

I have watched the PS Woods You Tube infomercial several times. Not much close-up information. I hardly ever see the saw mentioned . Is there anyone here that has one or used one? I would like specific likes and don't likes. I am intrigued with the table size, the top loading and the belt drive. I personally like belt drives because there are no PC boards to fry and 5 speeds seem adequate to me. It also seems like a very sturdy saw. Just wondering if my assumptions are realistic.

I know nothing about them and there is little info in the section on this forum that critics scroll saws.  What I saw on their site would make me a little dubious about their blade holders, they just appeared weak to me, but I really don't know, not having seen one personally.   As for PC boards frying, it does happen, but rarely in my opinion, but again only my opinion.  As for belt changing, it wouldn't be a problem for me.  I had a lathe that required belt changes and I never minded it.  Others certainly would disagree with me on that.  Five speed being adequate,,, depends on what the speeds are.  I know I change speeds often when I am scrolling.  It also depends on what you get use to and if the five speeds is what a person gets use to I think it would be fine. 

Sorry I can't be much help.  I'm anxious  to see what the responses are.  I'd like to learn more about them.

I have watched the PS Woods You Tube infomercial several times. Not much close-up information. I hardly ever see the saw mentioned . Is there anyone here that has one or used one? I would like specific likes and don't likes. I am intrigued with the table size, the top loading and the belt drive. I personally like belt drives because there are no PC boards to fry and 5 speeds seem adequate to me. It also seems like a very sturdy saw. Just wondering if my assumptions are realistic.

i like your thinking on pc boards.I lost one saw to that and it was because of a faulty foot switch.

I have a ps wood machine, The blade clamps on top are no good they wear out fast. They are metal squares with a screw going threw them. The blade slips all the time. You have to move the belts by hand to change speed, there is top and bottom pulleys. For fret work this machine is cumbersome. The tension rod on back   comes lose all the time it does not stay on center, the barrels wear out and you have to buy more. There is a lot of vibration, and a little noisy. I had this machine for a some time, I played around with it and did not use it for awhile, then retired and used it more and more. I bought Excalibur 21 it like day and night.   

I haven't got a scroll saw yet so you can arrive at at your opinion about what I say. I went to their website and for that kind of money I would never buy a brand that most people haven't heard of. A more popular brand in that price range would be the Dewalt 788 and the EX 16. If you ever decided to sell the PS it would be very hard to get much for it.

I have used them at shows on multiple occasions. I have no issues with belt drives since the majority of scrollers find a comfortable speed and leave it there. Having said that I still like the flexibility of changing the speed on the fly when I need to.

The saw front to back motion is too aggressive for my taste so that eliminated it from my list. I never did change a blade on one so I can't comment on the clamps.

I think it is a very dated machine and for $800 there are better options. 

Just my opinion.

I have yet to find a saw that I like better than my Hawk G4 26. And yes I keep an open mind, not always easy for stubborn Old German. :)

Many thanks for the responses! You have told me exactly what I wanted to know. Knowing this, the shoddy clamps, vibration put this out of the question. I have my little Hawk 14" which had no motor as it was made for a ShopSmith which would supply the power. The clamping system leaves a little to be desired and I have only one speed but the saw is virtually vibration free and it will get me started. I started doing the practice pieces on 1/8" birch. Takes more hand and eye coordination than  I expected. Will have to practice! Again, thank you everyone.