Woodimals

breadstick

Nice cutting Nathan!

In my opinion, pine is too soft for stand up puzzles. The wood dents easily and pieces could break off. You need to use a hard wood like Poplar or Maple especially if you plan on selling them.

Love your tips andtricks .I haven 't ha any problems yet but it's best to make it idiot proof to begin with ,thanks!

Nathan, your puzzles are amazing, what type of finish are you going to use on them? For them to be good sellers, they should have a finish on them. I could never sell any of them that didn't have some sort of finish on them, either paint or poly/varnish.

Len

Nice work Nathan.  My 2 cents... I use poplar and a butcher block mineral oil finish and that's it and I really like how they look.  The oil brings out the wood color and grain.

You can see mine at the link below in my signature.

Edited by Iguanadon

Nice work Nathan.  My 2 cents... I use poplar and a butcher block mineral oil finish and that's it and I really like how they look.  The oil brings out the wood color and grain.

You can see mine at the link below in my signature.

Looks great.  How do you finish it? Just brush on a coat.  Do you coat the sides of the individual pieces or just put the puzzle together and brush it on?

Looks great.  How do you finish it? Just brush on a coat.  Do you coat the sides of the individual pieces or just put the puzzle together and brush it on?

I brush on a coat on all surfaces of each piece with a small brush.  I usually sit and oil 10 of them at a time and then I let them sit overnight which allows most of the oil to soak in and saves time and effort wiping off excess.

Here's the oil I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSV38NC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these small brushes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Z83W4M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let me know if any other questions, I'm happy to offer my processes as I've tried various things over the past 3 months.

Iggy

Sounds great.  Thanks.  How far does the conditioner usually go? How many puzzles do you usually do with one? Poplar, expecially the sides, seems to soak up any type of finish I use.

Good question, I'm not really sure how many puzzles I get out of each bottle of conditioner but it's a lot... 50-60 or more.

The good thing about the poplar soaking up finishes is that in this case you want it to soak up the oil and it continues to look good.