New Craftsman Saw....Need help ASAP

Jason Martinez

Does anyone own or know much about the Craftsman 16" Scroll Saw (21602)?

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-16inch-variable-speed-scroll-saw-21602/p-00921602000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I just got it for small projects around the house. Worked good out of the box until a blade broke. I went to replace it and noticed the part that holds the bottom of the blade is very lose and moves around alot. There is no way to tighten it either. So I installed the Pin End blade, went to cut and about 4 seconds into my cut the blade popped out!

So my question is....Is there a way to tighten the lower piece that holds the blade I dont know about? It seems to be way to lose and wiggle way to much! Maybe something vibrated lose that holds it tight, but I looked and couldnt find anything. Now I cannot use the saw because the blades just wont stay in.

Please help if you can.....I attached a pic to show what I am talking about.

post-29943-0-59109400-1472144834_thumb.jpg

post-29943-0-38325700-1472144871_thumb.jpg

I hope I understood your question correctly.  But here it goes:  

The bottom holder is supposed to be loose.  It should move forward/backward.  The tension on the blade is what keeps it in place.  The swivel make it so the blade doesn't snap because a scroll saw has a very slight rocking motion when it cuts.  Be sure to have enough tension on the blade where it makes a nice pinging sound when plucked.

If you're not sure if what you have is supposed to be that way, swing by Sears and take a look at their floor model and see if it has the same characteristics.

I have an older Craftsman 16" in my shop. I purchased it off craigslist while my one saw was in for repairs. It takes tools to change the blades. From the one photo you showed it looks like the bolt to tighten on the blade is missing. I would suggest looking in the manual for a parts list and brake down. And see if you lost a bolt in the lower clamp. Just a thought and from looking at the one photo. Normally there are two bolts in a clamp. I can only see one in the photos you posted. Keep us posted on you progress please.

My first saw was a Craftsman and yes, as Travis said, those clamp blocks are designed to wiggle like that.  If I recall correctly, mine had reversible clamp blocks so that the saw would accept both plain and pin end blades.  If yours is the same, make sure the blocks are set correctly for the type of blade you are using.  I believe the pin ends rested in notches in the clamp blocks and were held in place with blade tension.  Plain end blades were clamped inbetween the flat faces of the clamp blocks.  It took 2 tools to tighten the clamp screws, a hex key and a round key.  The round key slipped into the open hole/slot that is just above the screw in your 2nd picture.  It locked the blade clamp in place so you could put sufficient torque on the clamp screw, without the clamp block wiggling around.

Hope this helps.