New Dewalt vs used Hegner

floridagramps

I am new to scroll sawing but don't want to waste my money on entry level machines. I have pretty much rationalized buying a new Dewalt at Grizzly w light and stand. However there is a used Hegner on Craigs List for $450.

Would appreciate your thoughts on which way I should flop.

I am retired and interested in making toys personalized boxes etc for grandkids. I do not expect to get involved in heavy duty scrolling or fretwork

I am fat fingered and concerned about blade threading. If I go for the Hegner I will have seller demonstrate that it cuts accurately and how to thread blades. Anything in particular I should be cautious about with a used saw? I heard that hegners now go for $1200+ new

Thanks for your suggestions

When comparison shoping you have to know abit more about the older saws. There are various models of the RBI220. Is it the older version with the barrel clamps, if so skip it. Is it a VS model or an older 2 speed, skip it What is the condition of the saw?? As far as the Hegner goes, again what model is it?? How big is it, and does it have the upfront blade tension lever. If it does not skip it. You know what you are getting with the Dewalt and brand new with full warrenty. None of the others have a warrenty. Now if the RBI is a Hawk 220vs and in good condition, that is the way I would go. Tough call when you are buying a used piece of equipment though. Just my 2¢

• 2 weeks later...

I would buy the Hegner..IF... you can see it working...the blade changing might be an issue though...some of the older ones need tools to change the blade...the Dewalt has quick change clamps...I use a Dewalt at work but would prefer a Hegner...not being much help here am I? but what I have read... Hegners rule....Doug