Organizing Patterns

Travis

I put my patterns on disk. I create folders on my desktop for my patterns, and patterns for each forum I belong to. Then I put them on disk........date the disk and list folders on it. It still takes time to find a particular one but it works for me lol.

I want to get a couple flash drives to store them all on too.

When I decide what patterns I'm going to attempt............for scrolling or woodburning...........I put them in their respective folders. Then I print them out one at a time as I use them.

Christina

The library uses the Dewey Decimal System. Its divided into ten basis categories. I divided my pattern subjects into 9 categories (saving the last for something?). They are Southwest, western (cowboy), farm, transportation-occupation, signs and symbols, animals, fantasy, victorian, and Sports & hobbies.

These can be subdivided with unlimited use of numbers (ie. 553.36 is girl scouts logo) 5 is for signs and symbols, 53 is my division for logos and .36 is my 36th logo.

I have a 160 gig Pasport that I store all of my patterns on. I have them separated into various folders. If a pattern doesn't seem to fit anywhere it goes in Miscellaneous. Every couple of month I will look at that folder to see if there are several that would fit into a specific category and make a new folder for them. I also have a section for the patterns in both magazines I subscribe to. I have a photo of the project instead of the pattern and they are also divided into categories and have the issue and date of issue in the name. I did this because I was forever looking through the magazines trying to find what I wanted.....thats a lot of magazines and a total waste of time. After being in office management for over 35 years I tend to organize in my computer the same way I would in a filing cabinet!

Sue

On my computer I have them broke down into several catagories - animal (several sub folders) birds, portraits, religiuor, patriotic, intarsia and several more. Now in my shop I have an expandable file folder with the patterns to cut in it by title and or subject. The "to cut" first are in a regular folder I borrowed from my daughter.

I belong to the Windfield Collection pattern club. I think I'll buy a 3 ring binder with the page protectors to keep the pattern sets together. The rest sit in a stack on my desk...LOL. I also have a lot of digital patterns, but I find I don't go through those as often as I should.

I also have most of mine on the computer, but need to get a lot more of them scanned in. Problem being that the ones in the magazines come on this HUGE folded up sheet and kind of hard to get them scanned in. I'm looking at going to a local architect to get them scanned in as one big image and then using photoshop to cut them out individually to store...going to be time consuming to say the least.

I modified a magazine pattern for my dad once. I scanned the pattern in two parts and used Photoshop to line them up, then Inscape to modify and print them out. It was a whole lot of work! I'm not sure if I'd ever do it for a pattern that I'm not sure if I'm going to cut. I have one of those scanner/printer/fax machines at home, so usually I just do a photocopy and tape together the parts.