Excaliber Saws unavaiilable, again?!?!?!?

dansnow

Was reading a notice from Steve Good about General international, the maker of the Excaliber, was having issues again. So  checked the Seyco website, and sure enough, all of their Excalibers are listed as temporarily Out Of Stock! 

When I bought my Anniversary Edition a few years ago they had stopped shipments because of a design issue. I wonder what the problem is this time?

Many have sent letters, General is not talking.  I sent several myself.  Steve good mentioned it in his distribution that went to thousands, and I forwarded that communications to General also, trying to get them to reply.  Not a peep.

I love my EX, but this kind of behavior from the manufacturer is very disturbing.

----------Randy

Scott, there is a screw and nut connection on the upper arm between the blade holder assembly and the arm.  The screw actually sheared off.  The replacement eliminated this connection making the arms a complete unit.  Hope this explains the problem.

Denny

Did the saw give you indication of a problem before it snapped ? I had my EX-21 about 7 months when one of the bearings went bad. Ray was great over the phone and shipped the necessary parts very quickly. The reason I am asking is I am starting to develop a slight vibration at higher speeds. Appreciate any input. Thanks.

Gee I am sure glad I have a rock solid older hegner that is like that timex that keeps on ticking  :D

Bill

Bill, Hegners also have their issues.  I have a 22v and had the connection rod, which is made out of freaking plastic, break.  As I found out, this is a common Hegner breakage.  Over time, the plastic breaks down and the integrity of that part diminishes, even on this saw which had very little use, and no abuse.  Good thing about Hegners, they are pretty easy to work on.  

I was really hoping they would start making the connector rods out of something more sturdy, like they do on the Hegner Polymax.

post-1770-0-07593800-1473286774_thumb.jpg

------Randy 

Edited by hotshot

Dan, what's this "again" thing about, they've been unavailable for some time now.

Len

This isn't the first time the supply chain has run dry.  A few years back when I ordered my saw from Seyco, the supply line had run dry, and it was several months wait because the manufacturer has to setup the line and do "a run."  They only do "runs" periodically, so I suspect the factory was backed or something.  This time around, we only have speculation, and nothing solid.  General hasn't said anything to Ray or otherwise as far as I know.  He was asked and said he didn't know, unless he has heard something since.

That said, there seem to be EX saws available under the Pegas Brand, and also plenty of Jet's, so I'm not buying the theory that they lost their factory, although, who knows.

I used to be able to get answers from General about stuff like this, but they have made some bad decisions lately, and have quit responding.  Probably the worst decision  it to put their name on a "CRAP" line of tools:

You might recognize this saw as the HF/Ryobi/Taiwanese clone:  https://www.amazon.com/General-Intl-Power-Products-BT8007/dp/B015R40F6W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1473305131&sr=8-3&keywords=general+scroll+saw

Edited by hotshot

This isn't the first time the supply chain has run dry.  A few years back when I ordered my saw from Seyco, the supply line had run dry, and it was several months wait because the manufacturer has to setup the line and do "a run."  They only do "runs" periodically, so I suspect the factory was backed or something.  This time around, we only have speculation, and nothing solid.  General hasn't said anything to Ray or otherwise as far as I know.  He was asked and said he didn't know, unless he has heard something since.

That said, there seem to be EX saws available under the Pegas Brand, and also plenty of Jet's, so I'm not buying the theory that they lost their factory, although, who knows.

I used to be able to get answers from General about stuff like this, but they have made some bad decisions lately, and have quit responding.  Probably the worst decision  it to put their name on a "CRAP" line of tools:

You might recognize this saw as the HF/Ryobi/Taiwanese clone:  https://www.amazon.com/General-Intl-Power-Products-BT8007/dp/B015R40F6W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1473305131&sr=8-3&keywords=general+scroll+saw

I certainly wouldn't try to argue with you.  It does seem, however, that the pipeline has been empty too long.

I have sourced product out of Asia for the past 15 years - machine parts, molded parts, assemblies as well as sewn products.  When you have a molded product, the costs are 25% of what they are in the us.  Machine parts, welded parts, sewn products come in with a "landed cost"  (that is shipping, and duty added to product cost) at 50% of domestic production.  The downside is you don't own the tooling and the factory you use has no loyalty to you unless you are constantly ramping up the number of units ordered.  If someone else comes in with a larger MOQ (minimum order quantity) the asian factory kisses you goodbye with no warning nor apology.

The process of "proving-out" a new factory with new tools, molds, fixtures, material specifications and quality control is a nightmare for a complex machine - especially if you own a "top tier" quality reputation.  Asia is filled with contract factories who are more than willing to substitute cheaper materials, sloppier tolerancing and/or hidden defects.  It is like Russian roulette with only one empty chamber.  Excalibur cannot afford a shipment of product with fatal flaws.  If they lost their factory, there are some folks who are spending far more time in Taiwan and the People's Republic of China than they ever wanted. 

Edited by Blaughn

Well for some reason I do not have a whole lot of sympathy fir them.

I go not feel sorry for the folks at General. I feel sorry for people like those are Seyco who sell and repair them. I feel even more sorry for us scrollers. Who are looking for a good mid range machine. Face it Dewalt went to check quality wise so once one graduates from an entry-level saw the have to go to a high end Hawk or Hegner.

Maybe it is time to start buying more Hawks!  :) I say gently not to generate any wrath towards an old guy (me)

Another choice for companies like General is to bring the manufacturing back to the US where it is easier to control the quality of manufacturing.

Edited by Rolf