BlO and Mineral Spirits , 50/50 mix....

Scrolling Steve

I mix enough to fill a quart size glass mason jar, in fact I usually have two jars full. I have a couple of old baking pans that I soak the piece in. I use an old chip brush to keep the piece wet if it doesn't fit entirely in the pan. I usually soak for a few minutes. I will let the piece drip into the pan, then I wipe off the excess with a clean soft rag, usually an old T shirt. Once the piece is wiped down, it will dry in 24-36 hours depending on humidity.

When done with the oil, I use a funnel and carefully pour the oil back into the jar.

Make sure you wear rubber gloves or nitrile gloves when using the oil, and be carful with with the used rags. If you leave them in a pile, they can catch on fire, so soak them in a bucket of water, then lay them over an edge of the bucket till dry.

I use BLO, but not usually as a stand alone finish.  You can apply it however you please.  Basically you want to flood the piece with the oil, let it soak in, then buff off any excess that may remain on the surface.  BLO takes some time to dry.  It may feel dry to the touch in a day or so, but conventional wisdom is to allow up to a week before applying any sort of top coat.

Heed Dan's warning about spontaneous combustion.  The oil dries by oxidation, which generates heat.  Balled up rags concentrate the heat which can become great enough to ignite.  Always use caution when disposing of BLO soaked rags.

To Scrappile

I generally don't use BLO on projects with a backer.  If I did, I would apply the BLO before attaching the backer, but I wouldn't expect the glue to hold.  I would probably only do this on small pieces that were getting framed and didn't necessarily need to be glued.  There are probably steps you could take to avoid getting oil on the gluing surface of the piece, but it seems like a lot of extra work when there are other alternatives.  That's why I advocate using different finishes and choosing a finish not only for appearance but for how it works with the piece, overall.

I use BLO and will dip, brush or wipe in a pan. I then let it set a few minutes and wipe off excess. Fret work I like to blow out with air hose. I will let it dry 48 to 72 hours after this. I do usually attach the backer first and let that dry at least over night before before applying BLO to it. I do use old clothes for wipe off excess and have one under the work. I Usually will make a few things then BLO all at once and used Poly for top coat.

Steve, if your using BLO and mineral spirits mixed together for your finish, then the only finish you're going to get, is a watered down BLO finish. The mineral spirits just dilutes the BLO, it does nothing else for a finish. To get the wood to POP, you should be using the BLO mixed with a shellac, poly, or lacquer. It all depends upon what you want for a final finish.

Len

What about Watco Danish oil? Aren't they about the same? I haven't used BLO but I do use WDO.

Watco Oil does contain BLO and other ingredients like MMS, Poly and drying agents. It is a blended finish. It does provide a harder more protective finish than BLO.

Yes you can wipe, brush or dip it. You just have to make sure you wipe off the excess. I often use Watco Danish Oil as a top coat.

Wow, haven't used that stuff in decades. Used to use watco but even the clear will darken wood and to my eye tends to make it look dirty.

I've got some pieces i did many,many,years ago with watco but the effort it takes to get a good result is tremendous compared to laquer or poly.

I agree it will darken the wood some but so will water, mineral spirits, and many other finishes. I do agree it takes a little more effort than lacquer. Lacquer is so easy it should be called cheating but I like it.

Boiled linseed oil not BLO for those newbies who have no idea what there talking about. I'm just saying. :lol:

Thanks.  I didn't know the first time or two that I saw BLO referenced on here but I did a little digging (hubby wasn't around at the time or i would have simply asked him) and figured it out.   ;)  :)

Thanks.  I didn't know the first time or two that I saw BLO referenced on here but I did a little digging (hubby wasn't around at the time or i would have simply asked him) and figured it out.   ;)  :)

My wife says I am never around when she needs me.   :D  Well she always wants me to do work for her.   :grr: