More bad scroll saw luck.

hawkeye10

It seems as if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.   :sad:  :x  I think I need to take my DW788 back to Woodcraft. It's knocking more at high speed than other speeds. I have been running it on #7 which is fine but it seems like the knock is getting worse. I know I might be able to fix it by greasing the bearing but that might void the warranty and I don think I should have to do it on a saw I bought on 8/25/2016. From what I have been reading Dewalt put very little in these bearings and it was cheap grease. I know Dewalt has to make money and I want them to but this is not treating the customer fairly. 

PS - Boy does this put me in a bad mood.

I just called Woodcraft and they have an EX 16. What do you guys think about getting that instead of another DW 788? 

Edited by hawkeye10

It is under warranty take it back. I don't think Woodcraft does any warranty work. is there a Dewalt repair station near you? If there is that's what I would do. If you take it to woodcraft they will send it to a repair shop. That's what I did when the bearings went on mine It was under warranty at that time.Look it up on your computer.. The only problem with that is the down time, it took 3 weeks for mine.

IKE

It is under warranty take it back. I don't think Woodcraft does any warranty work. is there a Dewalt repair station near you? If there is that's what I would do. If you take it to woodcraft they will send it to a repair shop. That's what I did when the bearings went on mine It was under warranty at that time.Look it up on your computer.. The only problem with that is the down time, it took 3 weeks for mine.

IKE

Ike when I called Woodcraft they said they have two 788's and would swap it out. They have an EX 16 and I was thinking about getting that.

I would not except any repairs on a saw that was brought brand new on 8/25/2016. They would have to replace it.

As far as the Ex 16...well hell yeah....lol I have the Ex 21 and it's a work horse but I only had three saws. One was an old rusty Delta that was given to me. That broke down and someone gifted me a Porter Cable which I gifted to Doug. Changing blades on that was a pain so I went with the Ex21 and it's awesome.

Good luck

Ciao Cliff

Hawkeye, I think they would replace the 788, and most of these have served their users well, so, that is to say the DW788 is a good saw.  But, I count this as fortunate, and this gives you the chance to get the EX16 if they still have it.  

I have both the EX and a DW788, and love both, but there is just some magic in the EX that is hard to explain.  On top of that, if you ever do bowls or cut on an angle, the EX will definitely show it's strength.  Also, the arm on the EX saws go up higher, and have a mechanism to hold the arm up (if you want that). So if you top feed, having the arm raise higher is significant, and if you bottom feed, you will really appreciate the arm staying up.  There really are some real world benefits of the EX over the DW788.  It's not perfect, but well worth the price difference.

So, take the stroke of good luck you have been given, and get that EX while you still can.  Run don't walk :-) 

---------Randy

Make sure you test the EX before you bring it home.  I believe it is their last floor model, and sometimes floor models are floor models  for a reason.

Edited by hotshot

I have both also like Randy and like both each has its little idiotsyncrosies but both are good. having said that I think by Dewalt is up for a new motor last check $248 plus shipping. so that is on hold. the Ex 21 is doing OK at this point. It would be fine as long as you don't lose any money. If my dad went with you I think you could do a even swap for either saw. He is good at haggling. You may see what they say for a direct swap Dewalt for Ex.

I would difinitely return saw for a refund and in turn test drive a few different scrollsaw brands and models within your budget. Keeping in mind throat size that will satisfy your needs for many years, build quality (preferably domestically made) service, operation of saw and etc. Then you'll be more informed to making a decision that'll suit your needs and chances are saving yourself many dollars. I honestly can't recommend one over the other being I don't know your type of scroll sawing desires. I wish you the best with your final decision.

I'm reading all of this and I'm wondering why you are running the saw so fast. Ok, get the EX if you can, but you should never need to run the saw that fast for cutting wood. 1. You can't control the cut very well when trying to go that fast. 2. you will likely be burning the wood in the cuts because of the increased blade friction. 3. You will be overheating the blade, causing it to loose it's strength, which will result in blade dulling and increased breakage. 4. You will wear out your saw much faster than need be.

I run my saw as fast as I can without it burning the cut. A frequent wax application to the sides of the blade reduces burning too. This is different for each kind and thickness of wood and also the tightness of the turns you will be making in the pattern. It also varies as the blade begins to dull. If your blade is changing color in the cutting area, you are overheating the blade, and you haven't payed attention to my previous posts about blade speed. 

Charley