Diamond in the Rough cleaned up.

Rockytime

I spent last evening and this morning cleaning up the new saw. I think the saw may not have seen hard use, rather a lot of neglect. It was filthy. It was carelessly lubricated with hardened oil and sawdust deposits. A little mineral spirit cleaned it up real well. The table has stains which I cannot remove. There were paint can rings which came off with a razor blade. The table was frozen and would  not tilt. I removed the table and cleaned out the ways on which it rotated and it now it moves smoothly. Also the angle pointer turns out to be right on square. Someone removed the tension lever and wedge and replaced it with a round device and a knob. It works OK but I will order the proper parts. I want it to be original. I left some sawdust and my first cutting on the table.

post-29885-0-14435600-1473542051_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-65102300-1473542057_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-01099700-1473542066_thumb.jpg

nice cut job! must be a 220VS. I just traded mine off. I bought it 2 years ago on ebay. It had very little use on it. We figured when we traded it off that I'd put approximately 2000 hours on it since I've owned it. Roughly. It started having some serious issues from wear & use, & when we took it to Hawks Shop, they just kept finding more things wore out & needing replacement. I'd already put $300 in parts into it, & was still having major problems, so, we opted to trade it off on a BM 26. The biggest scroll saw Hawk builds. And hopefully the last scroll saw I'll buy.

I hated to part with my 220VS. It was the best saw I'd ever owned. I'd never owned a saw that cut so accurate, & so quiet as that one. Then I test drove the bm 26 while we were waiting on ours. MAN! What a saw!!! This one is the Cadillac of saws, brother! There are some things different on the 26. The blade holders are different. There is a bottom blade adjustment to make it cut sharper, more aggressive turns. Table is bigger. The tension system is all the same. But it cuts so smooth, & so quiet, ya can hear the blade cutting the wood! An awesome machine. Kinda pricey for a beginner, but I figured after 23 years of scrollin', I'd finally earned the saw I've always wanted! And they're made here in Kansas, & built in the USA. 

I spent last evening and this morning cleaning up the new saw. I think the saw may not have seen hard use, rather a lot of neglect. It was filthy. It was carelessly lubricated with hardened oil and sawdust deposits. A little mineral spirit cleaned it up real well. The table has stains which I cannot remove. There were paint can rings which came off with a razor blade. The table was frozen and would  not tilt. I removed the table and cleaned out the ways on which it rotated and it now it moves smoothly. Also the angle pointer turns out to be right on square. Someone removed the tension lever and wedge and replaced it with a round device and a knob. It works OK but I will order the proper parts. I want it to be original. I left some sawdust and my first cutting on the table.

I too would  love a  huge saw.I do plenty where it will make life easier for me.Glad you got your new toy.Now show us some saw dust!