DeWalt 788 noise

orangeman

The noise is getting worse on my 788. It gets a little better when the wood hits the blade. No vibration to speak of. Still cuts puzzles from 3/4" cherry like a charm.

Any idea what is wrong?

I'm inclined to just keep cutting until something breaks and then buy a new saw.

I've been using it almost daily for 18 months. I haven't had good luck with DeWalt repair service lately. It usually runs OK for 6 months afterwards and then breaks down again.

Tempted to look at the Jet or Ex when I need a replacement.

bb

In most cases, the general area that he is pointing to in that picture above (before running the video) is your most likely source of the noise. The cam bearing on the motor is one possibility, and the pivot bolt in the center of that vertical rocker arm slightly above and to the right of where he is pointing is another.  The bolt will frequently loosen and wiggle back and forth when the saw runs. It cannot be fully tight because that arm needs to pivot on this bolt, but It should be less than about 1/2 turn from being tight.  This pivot bolt frequently breaks too. I installed a grade 8 replacement in mine and have had no more problems with it. The bearing that he is pointing to can also be a source of noise. It will need to be pressed out and a new replacement pressed into that arm if it has any play at all in it. Many of the smaller bearings in the arms out toward the blade can be greased, by removing the center bolt, sliding the sleeve out of the center (it's actually the center race of the bearing) with a small stick, apply a tiny amount of synthetic grease to the needle bearings around the inside of the hole, replace the sleeve, followed by the bolt. Try to turn the sleeve about 180 degrees so a new surface. gets the reciprocating forces than where they had been before.  This will also reduce the noise in your saw. New bearings can be purchased very reasonably from a bearing distributor in any large city, or on the internet. The number etched in the bearing race is all you need for an identical replacement. Putting the piece with the bearing in it into the freezer for 20 minutes just before you press the bearing out will make this job easier. 

Charley