It's Alive!

Fish

I fixed my scroll saw!.. Uhh, I had a very rough running saw and I couldn't figure it out.  I figured I needed new bearings, I didn't.  I have not played with it for a couple weeks so today I tried one last time. I took it apart, almost video taping it and asking you folks for help. Then I tried one last thing, I found and tightened a nut on the drive, the middle bearing. It wasn't very loose at all but it worked!!  It purrs like a kitten again.  I can't believe it was one small nut.  I'm back to working on my walnut box. I have three sides done and only half of one and the top to go.  I told the girls I'd be in the office ( garage )  all weekend now.   Here is what I have left to do.

post-7955-0-19790000-1474142141_thumb.jpg

post-7955-0-39919700-1474142165_thumb.jpg

I fixed my scroll saw!.. Uhh, I had a very rough running saw and I couldn't figure it out.  I figured I needed new bearings, I didn't.  I have not played with it for a couple weeks so today I tried one last time. I took it apart, almost video taping it and asking you folks for help. Then I tried one last thing, I found and tightened a nut on the drive, the middle bearing. It wasn't very loose at all but it worked!!  It purrs like a kitten again.  I can't believe it was one small nut.  I'm back to working on my walnut box. I have three sides done and only half of one and the top to go.  I told the girls I'd be in the office ( garage )  all weekend now.   Here is what I have left to do.

Dan those machines can be a pain sometimes. I glad you hung in there till you got it fixed. Can't wait till you finish your box. I got to see it.   :)

Awhile ago my Ex started vibrating and thought it may have been a bearing. Adjusted the belt tension, blade tension and etc. But there was no way I was to tear the machine down knowing there's usually a simple answer to the problem. Contacted Ray at Seyci and within ten minutes corrected the vibration. On the back of top arm there's a 10mm nut on each side. Tightening each side the same smoothed the issue. Patience does help. By the way that's some fine cutting Dan.

It's not the car accident or the water heater that broke It's little things like a broken shoe lace just as you need to leave for work that breaks us.You di good detective work ,scroll away!

That is a great pattern that will give a nice reward for your  efforts. I made this box a couple of years ago and it was picked by the winner of a contest I had to get people to 'like' my page. I have been going to make another of these but just have not gotten around to doing it yet. You just might have  enthused me to do so soon. Nice job on yours too. Oh, so glad you found the vibration problem with your saw

Dick

heppnerguy

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, its looking great!. I did this project 2 years ago. It was one of my first detail scroll saw projects. Talk about a lot of blade pulls and broken blades. I eliminated the scallops and made it out of Padauk. It has darkened since then. I also added a music box works. The mounting screws are very short and had to counter bore the holes to make it fit. It eventually took me over 80 hours to complete. Whew!

This is the site where I purchased it. They are not the cheapest but they have a large selection. www.musicboxattic.com

FYI on the music works. When I first got it and cranked it up with out mounting it, I could  barely hear it. Thought I had made a mistake. Once it was mounted in the Padauk box, the sound was loud and clear and the resonance was beautiful!

Edited by munzieb