Question about fonts and copyrights

Casey Jourdan

Are fonts copyrighted?

How do I know if it is? I know some are from previous design work I've done you have to buy a commercial license for a given font. But I only know that because of the site I bought it from. What about things like Times that come on the computer?

Can I alter a font and sell it as mine without infringing on said copyright? What if I'm giving it away?

I'm starting a new website for patterns and I want to include a handful of scroll friendly fonts that are based off common fonts. An example being taking something like Arial and creating a version where you don't have to worry about the inside part of the "A" or "O" it stays connected. And making a font file you can download and add to you font book.

Casey, it would be a whole lot easier for you to use the fonts as you find them. If you want to make changes to make cutting out the font easier, then show the change and take credit for the change only. By doing it that way, you don't have to worry about the lawyers and lawsuits. Plus, you get credit for the change, which all scrollers will appreciate. Unless you're looking to sell or make money off of a new font, I would go this way just for it's simplicity.

Len

Copyrights

Do not post copyrighted materials (articles, pictures, videos, audio, etc.) that you do not have permission to reproduce or distribute. For text articles, most of the time you may quote a small portion of the article (usually no more than 1/5 or 1/6) and you must link to the source (if online) or provide the source (if offline). Posting the entire article, even with the source, constitutes copyright infringement. This is not the place to illegally trade or distribute copyrighted (or those with questionable copyright status) pictures, video or audio clips. Do not post or request patterns that are copyrighted, licensed, trademarked, or derivative works of copyrighted material. Converting copyrighted photos, illustrations, logos, or other artworks into a scroll saw pattern is considered derivative work and violates copyright law. You may only share patterns that you have personally designed. Do not post patterns from other designers, even if credit is given. Instead, indicate where the requester can find the pattern for themselves. When posting and linking to images, videos, files, etc., please refrain from hot-linking. This is the direct linking to images (.jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png, etc.), video (.avi, .mov, .mpg, .mpeg, .wmv, etc.), audio (.mp3, .wav, etc.), archives (.zip, .rar, etc.) or otherwise downloadable or streamable files, on servers that you do not have permission to link to, instead of linking to the page where the item can be found. This includes providing a direct link to the file, even if that file is not embedded into your post. This practice costs the server owner money and resources. Copyrights for patterns and other content submitted to this website remains with the author/designer. By submitting content to this website constitutes an agreement with Scroll Saw Village for perpetual electronic publishing rights of said content. The scroll saw patterns offered on this website is for personal use. Pattern usage for commercial purposes (ie craft shows, etc.) must be agreed on by the original designer and crafter. All agreements are made between the two parties and in no way affiliated with Scroll Saw Village.
This is on the bottom of each page here in ssv lower right hand corner(userguides)

I collected some old magazines and catalogs from the 1870s to 1890's.  I believe anything that old, pictures, fonts, etc is fair game if I copy it myself for use.  Trademarked Names, insignias etc may be a different matter.   Trademarks are protected separately from copyright.    So if I copy a 1874 ad for a product from a defunct company , it is different from copying an 1874 ad from an existing company for instance Remington.  

Edited by zimmerstutzen