sawing thin plywood

whopsal

Brian...Stack three or four and cut a bunch.

I bet ... two or four will turn out great. :D

If you only want to cut one... I don't understand :D... Either way, use a small blade.

Also, blades cut on the down stroke ... so it's the bottom you might have a problem with. 

So..... when you stack cut, usually it's the bottom one that takes the abuse. 

A picture of pattern#1340 Songbirds would be nice... could help better.

Edited by LarryEA

I want to saw pattern#1340 Songbirds in 3mm. plywood. How do I do this without the top veneer coming away in the thin sections? I usually work with thicker ply but for this I want to try thin thin.

Thanks Brian

A puzzle blade sounds good for one.It leaves a fine cut.A good rule of thumb is to have at least 4 teeth in contact with the wood at all times

I enjoy cutting thin ply but I cut two or three at a time. My favorite blade is. #2 O/R. I do not get any tear out on either top or bottom and I do not need to worry about a zero clearance when I do it that way. I find using a puzzle blade some times does not make a sharp corner very well and I have to wait for the blade to get lined up in the direction I am headed. Hope this helps some

Dick

heppnerguy

When I cut thin and/or very soft wood, I use the Flying Dutchman Penguin Silver 2/0.  (PS-2/0).  It is a very non-aggressive blade.  It comes in larger sizes if you do not like that small of a blade.  There is a Penguin Silver Reverse (PSR) also that is a little more aggressive.  It also works go on thin/soft wood.

PS Look for Russian Baltic Birch plywood.  You referred to "Baltic pine".  If there is such a thing it is not what you want.

Edited by Scrappile

Hawkeye, I have never had any luck with tape on plywood.  Even the easy to remove blue/purple type tape pulls off wood fibers when you remove it and will often take delicate fret parts with it.  Beside if doing a detailed fret piece it can some times take almost as long to remove the little pieces of tape as it did to cut the pattern.  Been there done that.

Hawkeye, I have never had any luck with tape on plywood.  Even the easy to remove blue/purple type tape pulls off wood fibers when you remove it and will often take delicate fret parts with it.  Beside if doing a detailed fret piece it can some times take almost as long to remove the little pieces of tape as it did to cut the pattern.  Been there done that.

Thanks Scott for your post. I will take your advice. 

I could not agree more....no tape on fret work...It will become your enemy quickly. Pattern directly on the wood and mineral spirits to remove...way faster....and no wood fiber torn out

Dick

heppnerguy

We all have our "preferred" method, as it should be. On a piece like this I will always put a sacrifice board ON TOP, with the grain in the opposite direction. The top board prevents any stress on the piece you are making. Since the bottom is hid when it's glued to the backer, a "chip out" would not be noticed. I use FD UR blades.

jerry

post-18973-0-10681900-1474399342_thumb.jpg