have a question

gonefishing

First of all id like to thank all the pattern makers great job everyone. Im disabled & have been making up a bunch of different wood crafts to try to sell this spring because living on a disability check you barely get by. so my problem is i dont really know how to price these fretwork patterns. is their any sites that sell this kind of stuff so i can get a basic idea on how to price my crafts. And once again thanks for all the great patterns plan on making some patterns for the site soon myself.

This is a problem that plagues most of us at some time or another. I just started selling at craft shows this past fall and learned alot from several posts at the scrollsaw woodworking and crafts forumn. http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/scroll ... ness-side/ Basically what I do is follow the formula one of the very nice members there kind of laid out and it works for me for the most part, still trying to find the sweet spot but did okay at the shows I did. The market you're in will ultimately guide you but one thing I wish more of us would do is value their work and time a little more. I have gone on sites such as Etsy and see people with similar items I have cut and they are practically being given away. I just can't see how their making anything on them. I guess on the other side of this maybe I value my time too much? :roll:

Don

I am having the same problem, I am doing portrait work, and am also making my own patterns. I am fairly new at this, but seem to have a nack. I am told that I should be selling my work, as well as asked how much?

I don't have a clue, because if you try to factor in all the time it took from start to finish, nobody would pay that much. So I am in the same delimma. Very good question gonefishing, I am interested in the replies as well.

Thanks, Harvey

Portraits from a pattern you allready have should be $25 to 35-if you have to make a pattern from a picture add $25 to that.If you frame it another $25 to 50 depending how wild the frame and wood is.Cars the same pricing.Keychain are my love ,i love doing tiny detail and quick ones at that. i charge $1.00 a letter w/clear coat.Misc trivial no brainer stuff $5,10, 15.Names plain i get $1.00 a letter plain wood,cheap wood, up to 6".Names painted plain and cleared fronts only $1.50 ea.Names with the beach scene on them 4.25"tall i get $5.00 a letter.Myself i give a name stand free as get the wood free and i have nothing but time and love what i do.I've inquired going to the craft shows here .and there are a lot. They have the nerve in my opinion to want to charge you $250.00.If i sold all my stuff that would pay for that and none for me.Trust in the lord clocks cost me $6.88 for the guts and i sell for $20. not much profit there but i,m making new happy customers and it's allways seen when company comes.I try for $20 on most things i do ,i'm not greedy but the saying go "starving artist". I've asked these questions before and basically these are ballpark figures.If you what more ask more.Hope this helps some.I wanted to post pictures of all i talked about but found out that only 3 are allowed.Thanks for asking!post-2756-134955533264_thumb.jpgpost-2756-134955533278_thumb.jpgpost-2756-134955533292_thumb.jpg

I wrote an article for the Sept 2009 Village Square that might help. Its a tricky deal, for sure. Best advice is not to sell yourself short...especially on Etsy. Sometimes people are leary of cheap prices, thinking its sub-standard work. You'd be surprised how often a higher priced item sells better than a cheap priced item. The trick is knowing your audience and a lot of experimenting.