Dust removal

bonacker

I raise a lot of dust when I scroll and sand in my small shop (about 10'x12').

Any suggestions from you folks about a relatively efficient dust remover for about $200 or so? I've read a few reviews on some, but was wondering if anyone has had good luck with a particular model. I'm thinking of one that sits on the floor and has good DUST removal capability, not necessarily odors,smoke, pet dander, etc.

Hi Art, I to have a small worshop and all I did was plumb in some 2" waste pipe all around with outlets at different locations connected to a workshop vac, as long as you only have the outlet you are using open it works great.

I paid £50= about $80 for the vac........Paul :)

Hello scrollers, I have a "blue air " dust collector i don't use anymore .the shop out grew it's self by double.this is a model 503,on wheels and a floor model. It catchs 99% of what you don't see which is the worst dust to breath.Does a good job. i guess i have to post it for trade in a differant post . :)post-2756-134955533336_thumb.jpg

I have some of those big contractor shop vacs i have bought at auctions and

yard sales...i have one under my workbench by each tool...i bring the hose up

through a hole in the back of the bench and connect it..i have the vacuums

connected to a plug that is on a switch located on the front of the bench under

the tool...this works pretty well for collecting sawdust from the miter saw and router

table and such...i have another one under the table saw connected in the same

way...this works really well for sawdust but it doesn't remove the little fine dust

in the air...I intended on installing a vacuum system with the hoses in the walls

and connectors all around when i built my shop...but i ran out of money and energy

at the same time...by the way...i have a little bucket that i hang under my Dewalt

scroll saw and it catches most of the dust that falls through

Rick

I have a shop vac the I use to collect the dust, But for the fine dust I have a window fan(box fan) with a furnace filter attached to the back side. So when the fan is running it pulls most of the fine dust into the filter This is a cheap way to get an "air filter" and it works pretty well. You should see all the dust thats in the filter when I'm done working. When the filter gets loaded it just clean it off with the shop vac, If it gets to bad, just replace with another 2 - 3 dollar filter. This also helps circulate heat in the my shop.

Thanks, Clayton. I've heard of doing something like that.

I'm even thinking of a thru-the-wall- ducted fan , something like a bathroom fan except larger and stronger.

At first I rejected this, thinking that it might be a potential fire hazard by exhausting dust. But they make them today with enclosed motor housings preventing dust and lint problems. Anybody have any suggestions about this?

A through the wall exhaust system will work but will suck out any heated air in the shop and you will have to crack open a door or window for make-up air. Have you tried the furnace filter over a box fan trick? Find a 20" box fan and get a furnace filter and put one over the inlet side of the fan. Use wide blue painters' tape to tape the filter to the outside frame of the fan. This is dirt cheap and works quite well. I have two of these in my shop.

My I get on this and ask a silly Q.

You fellas and shella's talk about a box fan with a furnace filter, now are we talking about placing the filter on the back of the fan so to speak.

A fan blows air so you's wood be having the filter on the back of the fan and the front of the fan wood be facing away from you so the area that you are sucking the dust from is in fact the back of the fan.

Merlin

If you want a true dust collector harbour freight sells one that you can get at under 200.00 when on sale and it works fantastic for the price. The one thing I would suggest is that you get at least a new bags with better micron filtering. But for the price you can't touch it. I have one in my shop that I use for all my tools and it does a great job.

My I get on this and ask a silly Q.

You fellas and shella's talk about a box fan with a furnace filter, now are we talking about placing the filter on the back of the fan so to speak.

A fan blows air so you's wood be having the filter on the back of the fan and the front of the fan wood be facing away from you so the area that you are sucking the dust from is in fact the back of the fan.

Merlin

yes Merlin you put the filter on the back of the fan so when the fan is running it sucks the dust into the filter. and I keep it pointed away from me so the filter is actually facing me. It works attracks a lot of the dust(not all) but helps. it also helps circulate the air in my shop

Thanks for the answer Clayton, How far is the fan from the saw, wood you have it quite close or a couple of feet away.

Merlin

mine is between 2- 3 feet away. Actually I didn't have a big box fan, instead I use a double window fan. This works better for me because of the size of my shop and it hangs from my rafters (only 6 1/2 foot ceiling).

On one of my box fan filters I have placed a 20" by 20" ordinary furnace filter to catch the coarse material on the inlet side. This helps to protect the motor from a lot of sawdust. On the outlet side I have placed a 20" by 20" hepa-type filter to catch the very fine dust to protect me. I f you only use one filter I suggest putting it on the inlet side to keep the motor as dust free as possible.

Thanks for the replies people, I have a feeling that I may try a bathroom ceiling exhaust fan, they are designed for moisture so there for the motor must be well sealed and be able to cope with a wee bit of scrolling dust. :?

Has anyone tried this type of fan with a filter.

Cheers merlin

I haven't tried the bathroom exhaust fan BUT I do have one I was going to use to remove smoke from wood burning (pyrography). I was just going to put it on an outside window for the smoke, maybe now it'll serve 2 purposes, thanks for the idea!! I also have an extra box fan I was given by the wife so I guess two fans will be better than one! :lol: