Advice/ recommendations needed

Jamie B

What do people use and recommend for fixing patterns to blanks? At the moment I just use normal paper type glue (prit stick etc) I know this may not be the best and the paper can get a little wet! Plus it can be a pain to remove.

Look forward to your suggestions, particularly for products available in the UK.

Jamie

Jamie, This has been discussed many times here. Here is a link to one of those discussions. If you do a search, you will find many more. I  use any good brand of repositionable spray adhesive. Most of them work well and can be easily removed with a little mineral spirits.

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/20302-fixing-patterns/?hl=+attach%20+patterns

Don R

I had to look up what a Pritt Stick was, but it turns out I use that type of glue.

I cover the wood in painters tape, then stick the pattern to the tape with regular glue sticks. 

It is quick and I can do it inside, no getting high! Winters are too long to have to go outside every time I start a new pattern.

If you ask 10 scrollers how they do it, you will get at least 12 answers. 

Katie

I use a very light coat of spray glue and I mean light,.

maybe 1 second for the entire pattern.

if you put more, it will stick too much and be hard to take off and require sanding.  its a bit of an art but once you figure it out, you wont go back.

It says right on the can how to do it so it can repotisioned.  use those instructions.

If the spray on the paper looks wet at all, its way too much.

Jamie, I use a spray adhesive, I find it to be easy to use and it holds the pattern in place really well. With all types the different ways to attach a pattern to wood, it would be advisable that you do some trial and error work. After all, what works for me, may not work for you.

Len

Jamie, This has been discussed many times here. Here is a link to one of those discussions. If you do a search, you will find many more. I  use any good brand of repositionable spray adhesive. Most of them work well and can be easily removed with a little mineral spirits.

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/20302-fixing-patterns/?hl=+attach%20+patterns

Don R

I quickly draw a thin line of elmers school glue on  the pieces that need it to hold good,it doesn't dry so fast an it's in a pinpoint tip bottle

I put painters tape or REMOVABLE contact paper on the wood first then attach the pattern to that. I currently use a Xyron machine to put the adhesive on my patterns. 

No mess no fumes and very fast. Easy to remove when done. Time is my issue not cost etc. 

The only time I would use graphite paper is for a wood burning design.

Edited by Rolf

Thanks guys. I presume painters tape is masking tape. Lots of ideas to try to.dind out what works for me.

Cheers

Jamie

Painters tape is like masking tape but not as sticky. It will come off a lot easier. Painters tape is blue in the USA. I use clear packaging tape and some two sided very thin tape or spray glue over that.