Drilling holes

onewaywood

I used to use a hand drill like the kind with the big gear but now I use a twist drill thing that has a spiral.

i drill one hole at a time now.  cut it out, next hole and so on.  If i drill alot of holes they seem to get covered back up while cutting the first one so i end up drilling them out again.

I use a Dremel with their plunge base when doing flat work, my Delta VS drill press when doing compound cut work. I also have a small old hand crank drill that I have occasionally used if not needing many holes drilled. I also have a small battery powered drill that I take with me when doing classes or demonstrations.

Charley

for most of my holes I use a dremel in a router base like this I need the base to keep the holes square. I also have a keyless chuck so I can use a variety of drill sizes. I don't remember if it was part of the original dremel or if I bought it separately, but it is awesome for drilling holes. 

Using the dremel with router base has really helped me from snapping drill bits. Using a cordless drill with small bits I would get a bit of wobble and snap off the small bits. Also happens when pieces are not held down well with a drill press.

I also have a 1984 harbor freight bench top drill press, but it mostly collects dust in the garage. It was my dad's, he bought it shortly after I was born, so I am a bit sentimental. I drag it out when I need bigger holes.

Almost all of the holes I drill are 1/16". For most of my work I can find a spot to put a 1/16" hole to start a cut, so I don't worry about using the extra tiny bits. I buy a few packs at a time of 10-12 1/16" bits from harbor freight for a few bucks. They work well for me, I still loose more than I dull.

I have a solution for your "lost drill bits".  Stick one or two magnets (the rare earth super magnets work best) on your drill press or near where you drill your holes. Every time you remove a drill bit that you will be using again, just let the magnet hold it for you. I have several drill bits of different commonly used sizes on my magnets so I can quickly and easily find the one that I need for just the right sized hole. They will even hold a mini chuck for you if the magnet is large..

Charley

Edited by CharleyL