First Holy Communion

Ninuninu

Hi all.

I have always loved a certain picture of my daughter of when she received her First Holy Communion and decided that I would try and cut it. Although she is now 15 years older, to me she is even more beautiful now than she was then... but this picture will always remain my favourite.

I managed to get the cutting done and would like to share it with you.

Cheers and take care.

Tony

post-29222-0-73530900-1476386426_thumb.jpg

Hi all.

I have always loved a certain picture of my daughter of when she received her First Holy Communion and decided that I would try and cut it. Although she is now 15 years older, to me she is even more beautiful now than she was then... but this picture will always remain my favourite.

I managed to get the cutting done and would like to share it with you.

Cheers and take care.

Tony

Perfect picture :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Tony, many folks that try to make patterns just use photoshop or some other graphic program with a filter or two, and these always look a little off to me.  In this case, the pattern seems more "drawn" if that makes sense.  Did you use software, or some other method on this pattern?

Tony, many folks that try to make patterns just use photoshop or some other graphic program with a filter or two, and these always look a little off to me.  In this case, the pattern seems more "drawn" if that makes sense.  Did you use software, or some other method on this pattern?

Hey Hotshot.

Ever since I started doing patterns a few months ago I have always tried to refine my techniques to get better results. I love doing portraits but the major problem is that if the resemblance is off, then it would have been a waste of time because it wouldn't look like the person. I used to just use the pc to do the patterns but I was never truly happy with the results.

What I do now is make a printout of the basic outline in light grey off the pc then with a black fine liner I ink in all the details that I want until I feel that I am as close to the actual photo as I can get. After this I scan the printout back into the PC and  clean up all the stuff I don't need and test it for any floaters and work on it from there. If there are too many floaters I will make a coloured mark on the pattern and print out again to create the bridges. (I only do this part if the bridges needed would cause any 'damage' to vital details). Then I scan back into pc and give it a final clean up ready for printing to be glued to the wood.

It is rather time consuming, but a labour of love and hopefully a very small step closer to perfection. I will undoubtedly in the future find some other way to create a pattern but at this point in time I am quite happy with the results that I am getting.

Oh and just as a point of interest I calculate that it took me about 8 hours to complete the pattern and about 10 hours to cut it. You see I never use power tools. I use a hand spiral drill for the holes and a fret saw for my cutting. Even my sanding is all done with a hand sanding block.

Hope this answers your questions and thanks for the interest.

Take care.

Tony