Old West Lawman

Kris Martinson

Kris, personally, I have a problem with this piece. You did an amazing job cutting it out, but, you didn't make it clear enough to make out the picture. When looking at your cutting, it's impossible to make out that there is a gun in his hand. There is to many squiggly lines in the piece, it has to have some straight lines to make out the objects in the piece. Sorry, if you think this critique is to harsh, it's meant to be constructive.

Len

Edited by Lucky2

I am amazed that you even get a pattern from the painting and stay with integrity of the artist. I understand what Len is saying here but considering the style of painting the artist used, making it by using 'straight lines' to bring out the gun in his hand, just is not a 'copy' of this painting. I find it an truly amazing effort and I applaud your efforts on this one.

Dick

heppnerguy

Kris, personally, I have a problem with this piece. You did an amazing job cutting it out, but, you didn't make it clear enough to make out the picture. When looking at your cutting, it's impossible to make out that there is a gun in his hand. There is to many squiggly lines in the piece, it has to have some straight lines to make out the objects in the piece. Sorry, if you think this critique is to harsh, it's meant to be constructive.

Len

Len, I appreciate your observations. I don't think you are too harsh, but I do completely disagree. I don't enjoy making patterns from drawings that are nearly patterns  just as they are. I seek challenge. The artist who painted the gunman did not paint a perfect replica of a man with a gun. He painted it so that the viewers would have to use their imaginations and senses to discover the meaning of the piece. I loved the theme of this picture, and that is what I tried to reproduce in my wood cutting. I'm not much of a fan of straight lines.

Excellent work taking a "impressionist" style painting and creating a pattern from it and then recreating it with wood and a scroll saw.  In the end, its what you like and you wanted that really matters.  That is what true artist come to understand.  Not everyone likes everything that others do - and that's okay.  As long as we create what we wanted to do then that is all that really matters.  Its our "soul" that we are feeding with our work.  Sometimes the bonus is that others love it as well. Thanks so much for sharing.

Excellent work taking a "impressionist" style painting and creating a pattern from it and then recreating it with wood and a scroll saw.  In the end, its what you like and you wanted that really matters.  That is what true artist come to understand.  Not everyone likes everything that others do - and that's okay.  As long as we create what we wanted to do then that is all that really matters.  Its our "soul" that we are feeding with our work.  Sometimes the bonus is that others love it as well. Thanks so much for sharing.

Well said.