Greasing a Dewalt (or 788)

jerry1939

I have quit sawing for the season (read Iowa winter.)  Started taking my Delta apart to grease it.  There is a spacer on the end of each bushing.  Need to take a screwdriver and pry like heck to get the blade clamps off of the rocker arms.  Next to impossible to reassemble.  Same with most of the other bearings.

The videos I watch show them taking these off fairly easily, but on none of the videos do they want to show themselves putting these back together.

My question:  Do I really need the washers on the ends of the bushings?

Thanks for your input.

jerry

I have quit sawing for the season (read Iowa winter.)  Started taking my Delta apart to grease it.  There is a spacer on the end of each bushing.  Need to take a screwdriver and pry like heck to get the blade clamps off of the rocker arms.  Next to impossible to reassemble.  Same with most of the other bearings.

The videos I watch show them taking these off fairly easily, but on none of the videos do they want to show themselves putting these back together.

My question:  Do I really need the washers on the ends of the bushings?

Thanks for your input.

jerry

Sadly i just renewed a needed program for my computer .forgeting that they ask if you want such an such as your browser.My mistake and all the best info of dw788's in my bookmarks are gone.I tryed everything to no avail.Other wise i could have sent you more that enough info to keep your machine humming.

Saw is back together and humming nicely. Put new lock nuts on bolts that are enclosed in the back case. Also, a year ago it sheared the bolt between the connecting rod and the back rocker arm. Replaced it with stainless steel which is harder. Will take the tires off and put it up on blocks for the winter. I have watched that video and a couple of others. They all seem to "forget" to show you what a struggle it is to take apart certain items and put them back together.

Jerry and Dave:

I'm only a couple of weeks behind you in winter storage.  Always a sad day when the weather gets too cold consistently to be outside sawing.

Problem is, she still expects me to be out on the mower.  There is something inherently wrong with mowing in a Carhartt® jacket and gloves!

• 5 years later...
4 hours ago, Fred Buehler said:

Is there a way to determine the date of mfg. of the 788 scrollsaw.

Thanks for any info.  

I'm not sure how do date them but I do know that the type 1 saws were made in Canada so if you have a type 2 it's a Chinese saw probably from Taiwan. Also, keep in mind that this thread is 6 years old. You might get a better response if you start a new topic and ask your question.

Edited by OCtoolguy

My type 2 showed date of  manufacture on the motor tag. At least I think that is what the numbers meant as I bought it in 2008 and the tag said 2008.. it didn't really say on it that it was the date.. if I remember correctly it was just at the end of the serial number.. so I never "really" knew if that was what it meant. I just assumed it meant the date.  

Edit to add: 

I'm not exactly sure but I think the Type 1 saw ended around 2003 - 5 ish.. and that was when they moved production to Taiwan.. Then for the first few saws that came out of the new plant had some alignment issues with bolt holes somewhere in the saw that made the blade have a lot of forward / backward motion which made the saw cut very aggressive.. They got a bad name going around for the Type 2 with everyone saying stay away from the type 2 saw.. and still to this day everyone says to buy a Type 1 However, now days in 2022 a Type 1 saw is really quite old and would likely have the grease ( if never been opened up and greased ) dried up and probably would have issues sooner than later.. ( just my opinion ).  There are no parts differences between the two types.. just means more about what plant it was made in.. 

If I was buying a used one I'd probably not consider a low year type 2 such as a 2001 - 2006 as you might get one of those first few from the new plant that had some issues.. Plus if you're getting that old of one you might as well plan on takin it apart to grease it etc.   

Edited by kmmcrafts