Baltic Birch

kardar2

Typically, home centers don't carry Baltic Birch plywood. They carry just regular Birch Plywood. Baltic Birch is usually a higher grade plywood without any voids in the center. They are usually 5' square instead of your typical 4x8'.

Anyway, find a wood supplier for cabinet makers (use WoodFinder to find a local dealer). If they carry exotic woods, chances are they carry cabinet grade plywood as well. With construction grade plywood, they use an ABC grading system. "A" meaning its free of knots or other blemishes. B will have football shaped plugs, but has a good surface (suitable for painting?). C is rough and has knots/voids. I'm not sure if the grading applies to cabinet grade plywood too or not. I'm guessing it does.

So a BBB would have football shaped plugs on both sides, and may have limited voids inside. The place I get my plywood, BBB is the best I can get for 1/8" ply. Usually I can cut around the plugs or flip the board over to keep the plug in the back. 1/4" is almost always perfect (AAA?).

I also buy a lot of lumber online. Sloans Woodshop is a great place to find blanks perfect for scrolling. You can also try Wood Deals Online. You can find a lot of good deals there.