ultra fine sawdust

GrampaJim

I know general dust collection has been discussed here many times. 

In doing some research on the subject I came across what seems to be a well known blog that is dedicated to the subject.  After looking over the large amount that he has written in his blog.  I came away with the following:

1.  If you are not eliminating the fine sawdust (the kind you cannot see) you WILL end up with breathing problems for yourself and probably anyone in your home.   Almost every home shop will fair an air quality test.

2.  Almost all dust collecters can pick up large dust and chip, but are really just pumping the fine dust back into the air to breath.

3.  The minimum size needed to move the quantity of air at the required velocity is about a 3 hp collector.  This needs to be placed or exhausted to the outdoors. 

4.  If you are pulling all that air out of your basement shop, you will probably be sucking the exhaust back from any gas run appliances like water heaters and furnace.  The resulting carbon monoxide will then kill you.

I understand that our scroll saws do not produce nearly as much sawdust as table saws, routers, etc. but many of us do have and use those machine also in enclosed shops.

I have intentionally not named to source of this info to get better responses.  I am not, not ever have been an engineer or an expert on air quality and/or the mechanics of air and dust.

So my question is all this just a big overkill by someone selling super systems that probably none of us can afford?   Please comment, not so much as to what you have, but are these points valid.

I have dust collection and I wear a dust mask when on the scroll saw. That being said, I believe all the safety gizmos out there are probably overkill for many. I grew up mowing lawns for about 4 years and spent 2 years working where air tools were use most of the day. I never wore hearing protection and my hearing is just as good as it was as a kid. For someone else,that may have done much more damage. Adhering to good safety practices will help most, if not all, of us. Not adhering to them will harm some, but probably not all, of us. OSHA provides regulations that should be enforced in the workplace, but at home the choice is yours.

You can do a good job with a much smaller system on the scroll saw. I use a HEPA vac with pick ups above and below the table and are located close to the blade.

With dust collection, it is as much about the pick ups as it is about the cfm. Using a HEPA rated vac is a good idea as you are not recirculating the dust. Using a fan to blow dust away and around just suspends it in the air.

I do have a large dust collector (5 hp cyclone) for dust collection on other tools but it is way over kill for a scroll saw.