Thanks to this forum - Some Beginning - Non Intarsia Beginner Projects

meflick

Thanks to this forum, and all the work that you all share and show here - even though my interest in the saw was to do Intarsia - I have found myself drawn to try some other things with it besides Intarsia.  There are lots in my "to try one day" pile but these are some that I thought I could maybe get decently cut outs on. However, I have been too busy, too lazy, or too something to (a) take photos and (b) get them to the computer and share them here.  Instead of posting multiple different threads with each project, I thought I would just put all these beginner pieces together in one thread.  This one has just the ones that I consider "basic scroll sawing work".  I also created a separate one in the Intarsia section for my more recent Intarsia pieces. I don't think it belongs in bragging - lots of work for me to feel comfortable in doing that but figured this was the best place to put them.  I did start a User Gallery that I have posted them to.  But some I wanted to share here to make sure that you all saw (pun intended?) the beginner you have inspired and accepted here.  Thanks to all of you. (Sorry that some appear to be posting sideways - not sure why - they show right side up on my computer.)

This first pattern is a lighthouse pattern that came from an older version of the Scrollsaw Woodworking and Crafting magazine.  I bought the 4 CDs of the back issues so I will have to check and see which Issue it was from if anyone is interested in finding it. There is no "finish" on the wood yet.  Trying to decide if I want to leave it light or go with a darker stain.

post-29734-0-37308400-1478102102_thumb.jpg

Then the card I created to go with the gift.  To create the card, I took the file into a software program I have and sent it to "cut" on my electronic die cut machine along with the text of "Happy Birthday" that I added to the card front.  I then layered the card stock to create the card as you see it.  I did this as a birthday gift for my husband to thank him for being the guiding light in my life for more than 33 years (when you include the 2 we dated.) While not done on my saw - I wanted you all to see how I matched the card to the gift and note that many "paper crafting" patterns can be converted to the saw (and vice versa.)

post-29734-0-55443700-1478102220_thumb.jpg

Then these were ornaments that I cut out after Denny showed some of them and I got the pattern from Dirk's wife. They are a little more fragile then what Denny said his were.  I assume it was due to the wood used.  I also cut the double heart but I gave it to my niece for a wedding gift along with a trivet I cut out so I need to get photos of those.  Looks like I didn't before I gave them to her:

post-29734-0-75469700-1478102354_thumb.jpg

Then, when several people were sharing about Trivets - I wanted to try some of those.  I have several more I want to do but haven't gotten around to.  My plan is to give some as Christmas gifts this year.  The one I gave my niece that I don't have a photo of was the rose one shared. This one is a football pattern that I created and added the Tennessee Power T to since I love my Vols.   I already had the football I had previously created to use with my electronic die cutting machine and it converted easily to a scroll saw pattern.  If anyone is interested in it let me know.  (Its on another computer so I can't add right now easily.)

post-29734-0-70006000-1478102610_thumb.jpg

This small cat was from the Introduction to Scrollsaw book - great for learning to turn. Have seen many who have cut him.

post-29734-0-54779300-1478102738_thumb.jpg

Finally, this last one is a Turkey that I cut out last year before I really got a renewed interest in the saw and Intarsia work.  I am pretty sure it was a Steve Good plan.  I cut them last year but then couldn't decide if I wanted to paint them or stain them.  So they have set on my counter in my workroom waiting for me to decide.  :oops:   So you see Marg, I do think its okay to paint from time to time.  I just couldn't decide if I wanted them that way or not!

post-29734-0-52028500-1478102896_thumb.jpg

There have been other projects and things I have tried.  Some I seem not to have photos of and have given away already. Some didn't work out.  Some are partially cut and I need to get back to.  Most are just beginner projects and don't have a lot of detail but they are great ways for me to continue to work on my "cutting" skills - something that I need to get better fitting Intarsia work so its all good.  Thanks for looking and most importantly for sharing your work to inspire me!

Hi Melanie

You're on the right track

Do not be afraid to experiment and never let a pattern

overwhelm you - One hole at a time and next thing you know

you have just created a masterpiece - 

Some take more time and patience to do but the result is always rewarding

Keep it fun...

Fab4

The little ornaments are beautiful.

I like the turkey also. Reminds me of  Turkey Napkin holders I cut.

Is that Oak you used for cutting the football! Very nice.

Very smooth cutting of the Light House.

The cat is also nice... I'd like to write more but I'm being called ...

Later

Nice work!  Next thing you know you will be trying word art and spiral blades!

You prove my theory that Intarsia is harder than regular scrolling.  In addition to cutting you have to figure out the colors,  shaping and contouring.  Thought I was pretty good after three years of scrolling until I tried Intarsia.  That took the wind out of my sails for a while. 

Thanks to this forum, and all the work that you all share and show here - even though my interest in the saw was to do Intarsia - I have found myself drawn to try some other things with it besides Intarsia.  There are lots in my "to try one day" pile but these are some that I thought I could maybe get decently cut outs on. However, I have been too busy, too lazy, or too something to (a) take photos and (b) get them to the computer and share them here.  Instead of posting multiple different threads with each project, I thought I would just put all these beginner pieces together in one thread.  This one has just the ones that I consider "basic scroll sawing work".  I also created a separate one in the Intarsia section for my more recent Intarsia pieces. I don't think it belongs in bragging - lots of work for me to feel comfortable in doing that but figured this was the best place to put them.  I did start a User Gallery that I have posted them to.  But some I wanted to share here to make sure that you all saw (pun intended?) the beginner you have inspired and accepted here.  Thanks to all of you. (Sorry that some appear to be posting sideways - not sure why - they show right side up on my computer.)

This first pattern is a lighthouse pattern that came from an older version of the Scrollsaw Woodworking and Crafting magazine.  I bought the 4 CDs of the back issues so I will have to check and see which Issue it was from if anyone is interested in finding it. There is no "finish" on the wood yet.  Trying to decide if I want to leave it light or go with a darker stain.

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender.jpg

Then the card I created to go with the gift.  To create the card, I took the file into a software program I have and sent it to "cut" on my electronic die cut machine along with the text of "Happy Birthday" that I added to the card front.  I then layered the card stock to create the card as you see it.  I did this as a birthday gift for my husband to thank him for being the guiding light in my life for more than 33 years (when you include the 2 we dated.) While not done on my saw - I wanted you all to see how I matched the card to the gift and note that many "paper crafting" patterns can be converted to the saw (and vice versa.)

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender-1.jpg

Then these were ornaments that I cut out after Denny showed some of them and I got the pattern from Dirk's wife. They are a little more fragile then what Denny said his were.  I assume it was due to the wood used.  I also cut the double heart but I gave it to my niece for a wedding gift along with a trivet I cut out so I need to get photos of those.  Looks like I didn't before I gave them to her:

attachicon.gifIMG_0373.JPG

Then, when several people were sharing about Trivets - I wanted to try some of those.  I have several more I want to do but haven't gotten around to.  My plan is to give some as Christmas gifts this year.  The one I gave my niece that I don't have a photo of was the rose one shared. This one is a football pattern that I created and added the Tennessee Power T to since I love my Vols.   I already had the football I had previously created to use with my electronic die cutting machine and it converted easily to a scroll saw pattern.  If anyone is interested in it let me know.  (Its on another computer so I can't add right now easily.)

attachicon.gifIMG_0360.JPG

This small cat was from the Introduction to Scrollsaw book - great for learning to turn. Have seen many who have cut him.

attachicon.gifIMG_0372.JPG

Finally, this last one is a Turkey that I cut out last year before I really got a renewed interest in the saw and Intarsia work.  I am pretty sure it was a Steve Good plan.  I cut them last year but then couldn't decide if I wanted to paint them or stain them.  So they have set on my counter in my workroom waiting for me to decide.  :oops:   So you see Marg, I do think its okay to paint from time to time.  I just couldn't decide if I wanted them that way or not!

attachicon.gifIMG_0378.JPG

There have been other projects and things I have tried.  Some I seem not to have photos of and have given away already. Some didn't work out.  Some are partially cut and I need to get back to.  Most are just beginner projects and don't have a lot of detail but they are great ways for me to continue to work on my "cutting" skills - something that I need to get better fitting Intarsia work so its all good.  Thanks for looking and most importantly for sharing your work to inspire me!

You've enjoyed doing these i can see .Very meticulously done too

Thanks for the additional kind comments.  Thanks Jim, I will put that on my "to try list". I have seen some of your work you have shared and think it looks nice.  Right now my goals are not to sell just to create and gift but who knows where I might eventually go with all of your alls help!  :)