I bought a new Dremel and plunge base.

hawkeye10

I use my Dremel for very small, numbered bits only.  My drill press gets anything larger.  I usually set the speed on some middle setting, but I don't know what RPM it is.  I sometimes get smoke, but a dull bit that small, still easily makes a hole and it mostly ends up being part of the scrap getting cut out anyway, so I don't worry about it.  I use my numbered bits until they break.  If there is enough of the bit left after it breaks, I'll use the broken piece.  They still drill holes.

I have a 395 dermal with a slow speed of 5000 to 30000 and use it on all woods at at top speed you might have a low grade drill or you are pushing it thru tooo fast.

but that dermal should work. On ply wood you may have problems with the glue it will burn up a drill real fast. you should als peck drill. That is drill a little bit back out  to clear the wood chips. 

IKE

Edited by ike

I just got my Dremel plunge router and a new 3000 Dremel today. I also bought the chuck to replace the collets. Tuesday I purchased the the plunge attachment and an earlier VS Dremel for $40. The older model does not work with the plunge attachment of course. However, The Dremel is like new so that was cheap enough. I will be using drill bits in the 70's range. Should work just fine if peck drilling. I'll know soon.

".....the 4000 model and at it's slowest speed which is 5000 RPM it seems under powered...."

This is the reason my Dremel tool stays in the drawer.  I use a Black and Decker rotary tool.  It is three speed (not variable) and I use it on the slowest speed to drill my entry holes using a 1/16" bit.  This tool does not loose power at lower speeds as much as the Dremel does.  I bought my Black and Decker rotary tool at Walmart for $28 eight years ago.  A great tool.

post-2247-0-47104300-1478266543_thumb.jpg

Thick wood will burn at high speeds if your bit is dull. I would drill down just a bit then raise the bit and repeat until the hole is through. If you have to drill a lot of holes you may want to stop every so often, grab some coffee (or whatever you prefer), let the bit cool off, then drill some more.