How to make pattern updates from the Ornaments for Charity

NC Scroller

Last year I got a copy of the Ornaments for Charity published by the great folks here at SSV. SHAMEFUL HINT: I hope they do it again. Anyway my wife wants me to cut a couple of the ornaments which have dates on them but of course she wants them to say 2016. Is there a simple way to change them. The document that has the patterns is a PDF file.

Scott, if it's a pdf you can open it in Inkscape and edit it. If you don't have Inkscape you can print the pattern, put some masking tape over the 5 in 2015 and either print a 6 to match and stick it on the pattern or just try drawing it on the masking tape. This is the way I would do it if I would be cutting it out once, but if cutting several out I would change it in Inkscape.

Edited by Dan

Last year I got a copy of the Ornaments for Charity published by the great folks here at SSV. SHAMEFUL HINT: I hope they do it again. Anyway my wife wants me to cut a couple of the ornaments which have dates on them but of course she wants them to say 2016. Is there a simple way to change them. The document that has the patterns is a PDF file.

Scott, that is probably something I can help you with if you don't think you can do the switch yourself with software you have.  Just email me and let me know which ones you are wanting done.

I like Fredfret's idea to identify font used or to include full set of numbers when providing dates in patterns to make it easier to switch out.

On the "shameful hint" that you hope they do it again - Travis has already posted the thread asking for help in adding new patterns for the "book".  He has it "pinned" at the top of the "General Scroll Sawing" category of threads.  He has asked for at least 10 volunteers to submit 5 patterns. That would add 50 new patterns to the "book."  He's gotten 6 of us to date.  Hopefully at least 4 more people will join in.  :santa:  :santa: